I found this in an old Cooking Light magazine and fixed it for the kids' lunch today. When I told them I was making something "special," I got the typical enthusiastic response: "But I don't liiiiikkke peanut butter!" (stretch that into a big whine). And even better: "Oh," with that all-knowing tone of voice that's already determined to hate whatever the "surprise" is.
Mom's secret tip #14: If the kids are hungry enough, they'll eat anything.
So I kept them out running errands until a few hours after their regular lunch time.
GRILLED PEANUT BUTTER AND BANANA SPLIT SANDWICH--Makes one
2 slices white sandwich bread
1 t. butter, softened
2 t. honey
1 T. creamy peanut butter
1/2 t. semisweet chocolate minichips
1/2 small banana, sliced
1 large strawberry, thinly sliced
1 T. pineapple jam
Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter. Combine peanut butter and honey, spread over plain side of one slice of bread. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, top evenly with strawberry slices and banana slices. Spread pineapple jam over plain side of remaining bread slice. Carefully assemble sandwich.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add sandwich and cook 2 mins. on each side until lightly browned.
I don't know if they were just hungry enough to eat anything, if they were overcome with guilt for acting ungrateful, or if the sandwiches were actually good--but they oohed and aahed and ate every last bite (a couple of corner crusts excepted). When I asked if I should make these again, they both gave a resounding, "YES!"
According to the magazine, these are even supposed to be relatively healthy. Imagine that! 436 calories; 9.4g protein; 4.6g fiber; 3mg iron; 100mg calcium.
It was easy to make substitutes too. Instead of strawberries and pineapple jam, I used grape jelly, and 6 regular sized chocolate chips.
These were definitely a hit. I think.
1 comment:
YUM! I'll have to remember that! Maybe I'll make this special sandwich for Valentines Day!
Post a Comment