De'Etta had posted her own review about Malika Oufkir's autobiographical Stolen Lives: Twenty Years in a Desert Jail. The author's father, General Oufkir, worked closely with King Mohammed V of Morocco. The king offered to adopt Malika and raise her as a playmate to his young daughter. This was a difficult offer to refuse, and Malika grew up away from her own family, as part of the royal family.
The king died, and his eldest son Hassan II became king. Malika continued to be raised as a "sister" to the princess, and treated as a younger sister of the new king. In 1972, her father led an unsuccessful coup and was assassinated. His family, including his wife, eldest daughter Malika, and five younger children were sent to an isolated prison.
The book details their imprisonment, for the most part under utterly horrifying conditions. The climax is their escape after they dig a tunnel with their bare hands; however, they are captured five days later. During their brief freedom, they were able to contact French authorities and gain international attention. Although they remained imprisoned for another four years, conditions were vastly improved.
The only negative about this book, imo, is that it was listed at Oprah's Book Club. That in itself was almost enough to make me not read it. I would have missed out on a fascinating story. I've already requested Malika's sequel from my library and eagerly anticipate reading the rest of the story.
This book is definitely recommended.
2 comments:
I just picked this one up at the library today (along with the sequel). Is it difficult (ie emotional) reading? I also got the Peacock Princess which deals with an American woman and her daughters trapped in Iran. Powerful stuff!
No, not emotional. Sometimes the author's angst and frustration come through powerfully. I think after going through something like that for so many years, blocking out emotions is necessary for survival. I think you'll really like it, Kathy.
Post a Comment