I've officially declared this egg experiment over. Has anyone used this (from the Zoology book) and been able to see anything worthwhile?
We had a very strong flashlight and thought we could possibly see the yolk (still not sure about that). We could see the air sac membrane, and there was something big like a giant air bubble floating on the top of the egg when held sideways. Maybe that's the yolk? It seemed ridiculous to have the kids draw a picture of what it looked like--it doesn't seem like it would change drastically enough for them to be able to recognize change through their drawings. In order to help the eggs "age," they've been on our counter top the whole time.
As instructed, we waited a few days (okay, we waited 10 or 11 days). We looked at the eggs today and could not see that ONE single thing had changed. Since it's not time consuming, I can hardly call it a colossal waste of time--but it's a huge waste of effort and frankly, I'm sick of having two eggs in a bowl on my usually-cleared off counter!
Holly and I tossed the eggs into the sink. I was momentarily terrified when Trevor began drawing what he saw (whatever THAT was), but he said he just wanted to draw it, he didn't care that I'd gotten rid of the egg. Whew!!!!
I do not like this part of science at ALL. Any experiments that seem to have the potential for teaching something end up to be one giant headache for me--or so it seems! This is exactly why I'm counting on Robert to take over science for Holly next year as she moves into higher level stuff.
Bah!
* * *
Actually, the rest of the day is going very well! We've stayed in all day, had a really great school day, more relaxed than usual for a Monday. The kids were thrilled when I told them to go clean their rooms for 10 mins., and I'd have a surprise. I was surprised they kept guessing food! I played Off Road Fury (racing games) with them on PS2, not our usual after lunch activity. :)
Since Robert went out to lunch today, I knew he wouldn't be hungry. He just called to ask what we're having for dinner. I tried to put him off and finally had to admit I'm planning pigs in a blanket, macaroni and cheese and canned fruit. It's not often that I can make him laugh out loud, but he found that to be absolutely hysterical. I honestly don't know what I'll be eating, but I have a feeling I'll only be making that dinner for Holly and Trevor, lol!
3 comments:
{gulp!} Science experiments....I'm just wondering when was the last time we did any.
Well done for trying!
Dorothy
When we homeschooled I have to admit science experiments/projects were not my favorite. I always had good intentions but we rarely got around to them.
I just love science and experiments are the best! I can't quite figure out why I like science experiments so much, but don't like the arts and crafts mess!
I'm sorry your egg candling didn't work out. We have raised chickens in an incubator and the light has to be really, really bright. We built a little candling box which worked much better than a flashlight.
Post a Comment