Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Book Review - Beauty Junkies by Alex Kuczynski

I don't know where I first saw Beauty Junkies: Inside Our $15 Billion Obsession with Cosmetic Surgery, but I specifically requested it from my library. The author is a reporter for The New York Times, and this is her first book.

I enjoyed reading it, in fact I was pulled back to it again and again. For me, reading this was a bit of a "guilty pleasure." It was interesting yet a little creepy, informative and easy -- fun -- to read. It's incredible what some people will do to conform to their perception of "beauty." It also made me wonder just where is "the line"--certainly an individual decision. Do you think surgery is "over the top"? How about dermabrasion or other less invasive procedures? How about waxing, expensive haircuts, makeup? Padded bras, manicures, plucking your eyebrows?

One cute quote near the end of the book: "No one can be perfect. Even trying to be just plain okay requires effort."

1 comment:

Emily said...

I love to exfoliate my skin at least 1 time a week with a "home" microdermabrasion . . I use Dr. Denese. Also, I use a exfoliating pad nightly. I would love to get a mild professional peel . .someday!