Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Christmas leftovers

It was a nice day, it didn't seem like anything too special. This is neither bad nor good, just an observation.

The mail remains backlogged after our two big storms a week apart. We'd given up hope that my bil/sil's package would arrive--but it did on Saturday! It's always fun to have Christmas, any gift opening, spread out over a few days. Holly and Trevor opened up their gifts as soon as Robert got home.

Holly making sure Trevor's present isn't "better." (grin)


Catch the look on Holly's face.


Like I said: It's always fun to open presents!


Uncle Mike and Aunt Valerie sent the kids gift debit cards. As an adult, I think of it as being just like cash. But I'm not thinking like a kid! Robert and I explained to Trevor that it was like a credit card. Obviously, we've taught him well. He was very puzzled and asked, "You mean I have to pay it all at the end of the month?" My darling boy--all this time I thought he wasn't listening! He brightened up considerably when we told him that the card already has money on it.

Of course, they want to go USE their cards, so first they need to be signed on the back. Trevor (who is 8) has been working on cursive this school year. He has nice writing when he wants to, but it's not always his favorite thing to do. He started to write his name, and I reminded him to use cursive. He is pleased after writing "Trevor." I have to tell him to write write his entire name. Concentrating hard, he begins but worries when he can't fit in the last two letters of his last name. It's okay, I tell him, no one will pay that much attention.

Off we go to Best Buy, and Trevor has no problem finding things to buy. We wait in a looong line, and when we check out, he's trying to hide his excitement at using his card. WOW, he gets to sign on the little screen! I think it took him a full minute and a half just to write his name, but it looked PERFECT! The checker was so very nice and patient, just let Trev take his time. I KNOW I'm his mom, but it was too cute.

Don't think that Holly wasn't excited. She went with Robert to Walmart yesterday to buy a notebook JUST so she could sign her name on the screen too.

The whole episode was a fun reminder for me. Sure, the cards were a good idea and put a unique twist on cash. But to see the kids' excitement at the signature parts of it gave the cards a whole new spin--and me a whole new perspective.

* * *

We put away all the rest of the Christmas decorations today. I used to be sick of them by this time of year, but I no longer feel that way. Time flies way too fast, and I'm not ready for 2006 to be over.

Holly will be spending the next two days with a friend, so it will be just me and Trevor. We have some other activities planned, but I'm looking forward to having some time with just him. I think he's looking forward to it also.

With Holly gone, it means we won't be having much (any?) school this week. Oh well, not a problem. We've only taken one week off so far for Christmas anyway, and we'll get it done one way or another--I'm ready!

7 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I feel the same as you about 2006, Kristine. I keep thinking, "WHERE did the year GO?" I sound like my granny. LOL

Jodi said...

That is so cute about the signatures!

Debbie said...

How cute...I can just see the kids concentraing on those signatures.

The year has flown by...I always remember adults saying how quickly the years fly by as you get older and now I'm one of them.

berrypatch said...

My kiddos got to do this today. Our family gathering for Christmas with my side of the family was cancelled yesterday due to icy weather. I'm at my sister's today babysitting & all the presents from my parents were here waiting for them to open. They are having fun playing with everything! :-)

Romany said...

Kristine,
You have been so faithful with your blogging, well done. And the pictures are an education! Now are the skies really that colour or have your been fiddling with picassa?

Dorothy

Kristine said...

Dorothy, you were the person who got me to finally begin blogging. I prefer to call the skies "Picasa blue," lol. BUT my Pikes Peak pics from my house will remain totally unaltered!!!

Cynthia said...

I sure wish I could have kept up with my blogging like you did! I'm getting back on track though.. I hope blogger doesn't run into any more week long problems like it did before! I found that when I wasn't blogging I also didn't have much time to read other's blogs because I read blogs while working on my own. Now.. I'm really far behidn on all of the ones I like to keep up with, but I'm trying to catch up on one a day!