Pioneer Woman's Perfect Potato Soup has long been a favorite of ours. I haven't made it in quite a while, and when I looked at the recipe earlier this week, I see that she has drastically changed the proportions not only on the Food Network site but also on her blog. That makes me sad; I want the real, the authentic, the original! I was able to find track it down but wanted to record it here for posterity so we can continue to make the same one that we have enjoyed. (Although this recipe is not "the original" because I've doubled it!)
PERFECT POTATO SOUP
2 slices of bacon
1 large onion, diced (about 130g)
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 stalk of celery, diced (about 90g)
4 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 800g)
5 c. chicken broth
1 t. Cajun seasoning
1 T. flour (I subbed 1 T. cornstarch, I found this amount to work)
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream (could sub milk and cream with half and half)
salt and pepper
1 c. + cheddar cheese for garnish
1. Add
bacon pieces to a soup pot over medium heat and cook bacon until crisp
and fat is rendered. Remove the bacon from the pot and set it aside.
Pour off most of the grease, but do not clean the pot.
2. Return
the pot to medium-high heat and add the onions, carrot, and celery. Stir
and cook for 2 minutes or so, add salt and pepper to taste, then add the diced potatoes.
3. Pour
in chicken broth and add Cajun seasoning and bring it to gentle boil. Cook for 10 minutes, or
until the potatoes are starting to get tender. Whisk together the flour
(or cornstarch) and the milk, then pour into the soup and allow the soup to cook for
another 10 minutes to thicken.
4. Remove half to ⅔ the soup and blend in a blender until completely smooth. BE CAREFUL HERE, because the hot liquid will expand in the blender and literally can blow the top off and spray hot soup everywhere. DO NOT fill the blender more than half full. Pour it back into the soup pot and
stir to combine. Let it heat back and add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Stir in whipping cream till combined.
6. Serve in bowls garnished with bacon crumbles, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
No comments:
Post a Comment