For two and a half decades, Robert has talked about his love for chicken and dumplings. He remembers the soft dumplings in his mom's pot roast as a kid. It's always been his usual dinner order at Cracker Barrel. He's long suggested I try to make dumplings.
I've never had a dumpling. I don't know what they are. Cracker Barrel's are curious flat squares, not the puffy softness he's described. So I've never made the attempt.
Nicole at work doesn't cook--except for chicken and dumplings. I told her of my fascination with this mysterious food, and after sending me a picture of her dinner, she shared her recipe.
And it worked! If it were up to me, I'd make the broth without the cream soup, but hey, if it were up to me, I've already proven it wouldn't happen.
Robert was happy. Very happy. Trevor called it soup. He liked it much better the second day. Leftovers, including dumplings, somehow work in this magical comfort food.
NICOLE'S CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
3 boneless chicken breasts
4 c. of chicken broth
10.5 oz. can of cream of chicken (I've only had cream of mushroom on hand)
+ 2 soup cans of water
1/2 c. milk
2 T. cornstarch
pepper
Dumplings:
2 c. Bisquick
2/3 c. milk
Stir broth, soup and water together well in pan. Add chicken. Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 8 minutes until cooked through. Remove from heat, let cool for a few minutes, remove chicken, and shred. Return chicken to pot.
Mix a little of the milk into the cornstarch, and then stir into the pot. Add the rest of the milk.
Prepare the dumplings according to the box directions. It's really
important to get the broth hot enough before adding the dumplings.
And it's done. Magic in a pot. To your table. In your grateful husband. And they lived happily ever after.

1 comment:
Yumm! I love chicken and dumplings. I've never heard of roast and dumplings.
Post a Comment