Holly and I went to DC to visit the National Zoo on Sunday.
We knocked the Metro out of the park. We have learned a LOT, and it's exciting to actually have a clue what we are doing, instead of just pretending that we know. Of course, I didn't figure this out on my own, but between endlessly studying the Metro via the internet, maps, tips, etc. and asking Metro employees for help, it was great! I still don't know anything official about schedules, because the trains run often enough, even on weekends, and hey, if I'm that pressed for time, I'm in big trouble.
Holly and I parked (free on weekends!) at a station in Falls Church, transferred trains, and went to the zoo first. I remembered Trevor's advice to take the train past the zoo, and then walk downhill to the zoo (rather than getting off at the earlier station and then walking uphill). It was BAKING hot, low 90s, not really the best day to be playing tourist outside.
The zoo is a Smithsonian and free. But $5 maps, haha! We opted to read the posted signs instead. We were expecting to have to dump our water bottles at the gate, but food is allowed inside the zoo, what a nice surprise! The animals were in hiding at the first two exhibits, which had us a bit concerned. It really was hot. But then things improved quickly.
I was particularly interested in seeing the pandas. I remember President and Mrs. Nixon visiting China, and I remember China's subsequent gift of the giant pandas to the U.S. The exhibit is quite large, so I was glad to see one, even though it was sleeping.
Inside was a different story. This guy was rolling around, almost clowning for the crowd. Look at those teeth! Fun to see.
The elephants always make me a bit sad. They need more elephants in their families, not just one or two, and they need a big space to roam. This one had her feet in the water, playing in it with her trunk, and splashing the water underneath on her belly to help keep cool.
Holly has NO idea what she was doing, but she ended up with several random shots of legs--ours, strangers. Snap.
Snap.
One of the tigers was extremely active. We saw him a few times, pacing about, with crowds gathered around the viewing area.
Holly was most interested in the monkeys. Almost all (but one) of the animal houses we went into were relatively clean smelling and cool, an unexpected surprise.
Two of the big apes were out. He was gorgeous, so regal.
And the king of the jungle, lazing in the sun, particularly photogenic.
The zoo was on a bit of a hill (not like Cheyenne Mountain Zoo though!), with loads of shady trees. Thankful for those trees! We filled our water bottles up twice from water fountains. It's been decades since I've used a water fountain, and I'm still alive to tell about it today! There were also so many benches that we were able to sit in the shade often. The place was packed, so to say there were empty benches frequently is pretty impressive. It wasn't a big or fancy zoo, and we wondered what foreigners coming to visit would think of what is our National Zoo. I've been wanting to go for several years, and I'm glad we made the trip.
Upon leaving the zoo, continue walking downhill to the next station.
That worked perfectly for us, and we were so glad we had that helpful
information, even more so considering how hot it was. The neighborhood
was really nice, sidewalks, terrific little shops everywhere, with
lovely apartment buildings. I told Holly she can get a job in DC and
move there; it was so wonderful.
We made our way to the Foggy Bottom station, at the edge of The George Washington University campus. This was another great little neighborhood. My lunch of choice was Roti Mediterranean, the same thing I ate at Union Station a few weeks ago.
Holly was holding out for Chipotle on the way home, but once she tried my steak, she said she'd eat it next time. Such delicious food.
We hopped on the train again and headed back to where our car was parked. It was after 4, a little late for me to be just leaving for home. I stopped in Fairfax at "our" familiar Chipotle for Holly to eat in the car. She slept in the car on the way home, while I listened to the radio. I have been actively working on getting enough sleep this past week, and I guess it worked--after all of the driving, plus walking at least three miles out in the sun, I didn't get sleepy on the way home.
We always say we need to go into the city more. I'm so glad we did, it's ALWAYS a super fun way to spend the day!











1 comment:
I've never been to the National Zoo though I've been to D.C. 4 times in my life. There's just so much to see and do there. The zoo in St. Louis is also "free", but it cost us $15 to park and $8 to rent a wheelchair for my mom. In comparison, the Missouri Botanical Gardens cost us $24 to get in ($3 for each adult, Carys was free) but the parking was free and the wheelchair was free. Everything special at the zoo costs money: the Children's Zoo, the train around the park, the carousel, etc., etc. We go because Carys loves it, though, and it is one of the largest zoos in the country.
Post a Comment