Sunday, August 16, 2015

Chocolate Waffles and Clam Dip

No, not together, yukkkkkk!

Good Eats recently showed up on Netflix, so Trevor and I have begun watching the show from way back.  Gosh, Alton is so good.  Yesterday, we watched a show on waffles, and he made chocolate waffles.  I made them for dessert.  They were very easy, although my batter seemed much runnier than on the show.  They also had relatively minimal sugar, which I liked. They freeze--and reheat like any other frozen waffle.  Holly already had another tonight.


Chocolate Waffles

1-1/2 c. flour
3 T. sugar
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
3 eggs, beaten
4 T. butter, melted (I misread and used only 2 T.; it was just fine)
1 t. vanilla
16 oz. buttermilk
4 oz. chocolate chips, optional
 
 Preheat waffle iron.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In another bowl, beat together the eggs, melted butter and vanilla, and then add the buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir in the chocolate chips just until combined. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.

Ladle the batter onto the center of the iron. Close the iron top and cook until the waffle is crispy on both sides and is easily removed from iron. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve.
 
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chocolate-waffle-recipe.html
* * * * *

I have always loved clam dip.  Trevor loves clam dip. It's a treat when we make it, because we both eat a LOT of it. Eons ago, back to waterskiing summers or so, we used to eat clam dip. I don't remember the recipe, so for the past 20 years or so, I've winged it.  But the internet brings up wonderful and mysterious things, and I found the recipe, or a close facsimile, of long ago.  Be still my heart.

Classic Clam Dip

1 can minced or chopped clams, mostly drained
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temp
1-1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t. minced garlic
2 t. lemon juice
1 t. onion juice (I used dehydrated onion)

I also add 2 T. mayo and 2 T. sour cream.

Blend all ingredients well.  Chill for several hours to let flavors set.

Serves 2. 
(Just kidding about that.)

No comments: