Friday, July 04, 2014

Sunset reflection

I noticed this out of our back window the other night.  I was looking east, and the sun was reflecting on this cloud.  Behind the trees, everything glowed orange.  It's not unusual to see several minutes of gorgeous sunset (and sunrise) here, I guess because of the higher humidity than we had in Colorado combined with the chemicals emitted from the indigenous trees and plants.  (That's why the Smoky Mountains are blue, you know.)


Moving on behind the trees on the right, the sky continued to glow orange.

Last night, I read there was a small forest fire on Tinker Mountain, just a mile away from us, along the Appalachian Trail.  We haven't smelled the smoke, and the fire obviously is on the other side of the ridge since we haven't seen it or heard the helicopters. It's being controlled, no worries there--but I would guess lingering and drifting smoke is what gave the sky its glow on Wednesday night.

No comments: