Thursday, April 24, 2014

A clean desk!

Simon has been a bit bored at work.I feel a little bad for him.  He even pretends to be scared of my finger and will race around the bowl to avoid me.  At least I think he's pretending.  He doesn't flare out his cheeks like he did when he wanted to intimidate Holly's fish when the tanks were next to each other.


Work.  Gahhhhkkk.  I've been there for eight months and still don't know what I think of it.  I'm not fond of hating, absolutely loathing the first two weeks of the month, and then relaxing for the last two, only to have the same crazy cycle start up again. 

Government regulations are incredibly wasteful, inconsistent, nonsensical, and mind boggling in their hugeness.  Case in point.  Because of Obamacare, the entire Medicaid system has been revamped.  For clients on Medicaid who used to get a one page renewal form annually, they now get a 19 page form.  (I've already said it's a government ploy to keep the post office in business, and I'm not kidding.)

This 19 page renewal form is prefilled with the information we currently have on record for the family.  One section tells who is currently enrolled.  The next section asks, "Who is not already listed and would like to be apply for medical assistance?"  Parents who are not already covered will put their names here.  Then the form says, "If you checked this box, complete the next section," so the person does.

However, this does NOT constitute an "application."  This form ONLY renews the people already receiving benefits.  It does not matter who checks that they would like to apply, or that they've completed the next section.  It has been determined that this is not an "application."  The state form is wrong, and because they mail the forms out, we can't even correct them before sending to the client. Then we have to send them *a different* 19 page application.  (Sure, they can apply online, but most don't have internet at home.)

Welcome to ridiculosity. Welcome to federal government regulations. Welcome to my job.

It helps when I remember that I am the one person between my 175 families and regulations.  It helps when someone calls me, almost crying, "Thank you, THANK YOU, for telling me about all of these things and for all of your help!" Or, "I've never had anyone in that office be so nice to me," or, "You all are really on top of things!" (That was a fluke, but whatever.)

Here's a picture of my desk, entirely cleaned off when I left on Friday.  It's so rare that I took a photo.  It's not that I was caught up, but everything was put away in my drawers, nothing SO pressing that I HAD to leave it out.

I'm digging those dual monitors and wish I had that at home!

I'm changing my work hours beginning in May, from four 6-hour day to three 8-hour days.  I want to be home more, and I'm hoping it will prevent me from working later than I should each day.  I'm getting in extra hours that I really don't want, even if I do get paid.

I'm in training for the next two days in downtown Roanoke.

I'm off Monday.
I go back to work Tuesday, after missing three days in the office (phone calls! mail!), and I'm getting a jump start on May interviews with two clients.
I'm off Wednesday.
I have four interviews on Thursday.
Friday is our annual out of office team activity.  We eat breakfast out, go to a low income day care and do crafts, eat lunch out, have a staff meeting, etc.  I would rather be in the office.

I'm off again on Monday, four interviews on Tuesday, off Wednesday, four interviews Thursday, and one or two so far on Friday.  Plus there's all of the regular work, pulling month end/beginning reports, and another staff meeting. So far.

In addition to my interviews, every.single.one of my clients this month are due for both SNAP and Medicaid renewals, because the previous caseworker never extended review dates on her Medicaid cases.  Because we have a brand new Medicaid system, every single case has to be put into the new system--and it was shared with us last week that the state has admitted it was released way too early, because there are so many bugs, and it's just poorly written software (49 computer screens for a 19 page renewal). I was actually happy that I was able to get three done in the past two days.  :/

I'm feeling a little better venting.   On the plus side, I think I'm finally getting an assigned parking spot next week, instead of having to battle it out for the limited street parking. I want to like my job for more than just two weeks a month.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I have no words except, "Oh boy!" I think the 3 8-hour days sound like a good idea.