Due to the wonky heating system and the leaky (and moldy, nasty, disgusting, probably poisonous) ceiling, we've been moved off of the fifth floor.
And into the basement. Okay, it's not really the basement. It's the ground floor, but I always think of it as the basement. The dungeon. Where there is no heat. And freezing, ceramic tile flooring. And no walls.
Six foot high, burlap covered, portable walls, three panels per person, if you are lucky. Other barriers consisting of file cabinets and tall shelves and short shelves. No doors. No privacy.
(To be completely honest, my amazing boss did an amazing job with what she had. I can't complain about that. She really IS amazing.)
This is my thermometer. I've had it for 12 years. It's accurate. And it reads 57 degrees. It sits on my desk. Just in case I didn't feel cold enough already.
Building maintenance turned the thermostat up to 80. We brought in small, portable electric heaters--and blew the fuses on our floor. Repeatedly. It still wouldn't get above 60 degrees. We are very blessed to have two great supervisors who continue to go to bat for us and do every single thing they can to make work conditions tolerable. They aren't accepting any of this "wait until next week when it warms up" crap.
Eddie has one of the coldest spots on the floor, at the corner of two glass walls. He brought in a very cool (lol) heater--and it actually BLOWS heat out of the sides.
It's been a couple of weeks now, and two things have happened. It's warmed up, usually now about mid 60s inside. But not always. And we've become accustomed to being cold. I wear my coat while I work sometimes. It kinda sucks. I'm a little nervous, wondering how extreme it will be during the summer heat, although my brain is a little too frozen to worry about it much.




No comments:
Post a Comment