I decided to sleep in just a bit and missed the sunrise.
Everyone dragged out a bed a bit earlier than they wished--we had plans to hit the famous Britt's Donuts just next door on the small town Boardwalk. It lived up to the hype. Although they only served glazed donuts, they were the best I've ever eaten. We bought a bag full of a dozen and headed for the beach.
Holly and I went for a quick walk. The day was already smokin' hot; it was definitely going to be warmer than the day before.
We saw more pelicans. They are so amazing! Watching them dive straight down into the water to catch fish--I've seen it on tv a dozen or more times, but nothing compares to watching them in real life.
Oh! Seeing this photo reminds me: As Holly and I were walking on the beach the day before, the tide was coming in. We were walking along the edge of the waves. One came up much higher than I'd anticipated and literally knocked me right off of my feet. I shouted, "Shit!" as I went down. The biggest surprise is that I didn't hurt myself, and I don't even know how I managed to fall. Both Holly and I found the whole thing absolutely hilarious. I came up laughing, and a sweet woman watching close by made sure I was okay before she laughed at me too. The worst part was knowing the other people had seen me, a tad embarrassing!
We checked out at the last minute and headed for home. There is no easy way to get home quickly. We drove some interstate (I-40), some two lane back highways, and finally on a four lane state highway nearing Rocky Mount and back in familiar territory.
(Robert and) I'd been squirreling money away for this trip for quite a while. Barb and Dave gave us hotel points, which gave us a lot of freedom in where to go. It was a sweet trip, knowing that Holly will be going off to school in three short weeks.






No comments:
Post a Comment