We drove Holly and Trevor to Dayton, TN yesterday for a week at TeenPact camp. This will be Holly's third and last year and Trevor's first. They've long been planning this as the last one big thing they'll do together while Holly is still home.
I was excited for Trevor to make this car trip. Oh, it's not partcularly exciting, but it's a fun time in the car that *I* look on fondly each year. Trevor was more than happy to have Lakota sleep on his bed for the last two nights. Holly did not sleep. She doesn't like to get up early, so she stays up, easily (and happily) gets ready in the morning, and sleeps in the car on the way there.
Trevor loaded up the car, we piled in, and then drove in fog and rain for the first couple of hours. Not my ideal drive. As we crossed over the Smokies, the weather changed, and it was good. We stopped for lunch in Knoxville and made decent time to the camp. Both Holly and Trevor had a good case of the butterflies and they checked in. The staff (all teenagers) are always so welcoming, encouraging, and friendly, remembering students from various state classes held across the country during the year.
We found Trevor's dorm-style room first. Concrete floors, with six(?) triple bunk beds in each room, with a large bathroom with many private showers. Trevor grabbed the top bunk on the less crowded side of the room. The only other kid in the room at the time was a friend of Trevor's from his Virginia state class, and he greeted Trevor with, "Hey, I was hoping you'd be in my room!" And Ryan even brought a soccer ball, the one thing Trevor'd forgotten.
We went over to Holly's much fancier lodge, because that's what the girls get. She was found and hugged by a couple of girls who remembered her. We found Holly's room, and she was very happy to claim the same perfect bunk spot the had last year, and she was happy to find that the bottom floor was very nicely cooled.
Robert and I got ready for the 5:15 hour drive back home.
One picture before we go!
We hit Knoxville rush hour, but we were going against the traffic. We snacked on Pringles and cashews, and I added in Cokes and Sweetarts, while Robert ate Bit O' Honeys. Blech!
Robert drove most of the way. We saw a couple of trucks like this. We couldn't figure out what they were carrying. It's too late to be grapefruit, but these were very large to be apples or onions.
Unlike past years, there were few policemen or dead deer. We hit a fast and hard thunderstorm past Christiansburg, and the whole drive was what I'd imagine it'd be like in March. Just a little warmer, though.
Not many plans here while they are gone. I'm working all but two days, and one of those is our anniversary. In the meantime, and for the short term, I'll enjoy the quietness, the lack of clutter, and going to bed early. And I'll be ready to trade that back in for our normal life before they get home.


No comments:
Post a Comment