And I don't know if I'll ever buy mayonnaise in a jar again!
1 egg
2 tsp. vinegar (you can use more)
1 cup oil
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. salt
Put egg, vinegar, seasonings, and 1/4 cup oil in the bowl of a food
processor. (It's easier to scoop out than a blender.) Process for a minute or so. With the machine still
running, steadily add the rest of the oil. Process for another minute
or so. Scoop out the yummy mayo into a container and store in the
fridge.
The taste of the finished product will vary depending on what kind of
oil, vinegar and seasonings you add. I preferred cider vinegar over red wine vinegar. I've heard that white vinegar is nasty. I also preferred a blended oil over plain canola oil; you can also use extra light oil. I used seasoning salt.
The taste was so very superior over jarred mayonnaise. And it was a lot cheaper to make too. I guess there's the issue of the raw egg, but I'm taking my chances. I suppose I could use a pasteurized egg in a carton . . .
4 comments:
Ack - you're about to motivate me. I've had some vegan mayo recipes around here...but it just seemed daunting. You make it sound easy and tasty. ::grin::
The hardest part was washing the food processor, but the dishwasher did that! Seriously, this WAS just as easy as buying a jar of mayonnaise at the store on a regular shopping trip, putting it in the cabinet, and pulling it out again to open it.
so going to try this!!
I just came back looking for this recipe. I want to make some from either all olive oil or coconut oil. Trying to eliminate the unhealthy oils from my diet and it's impossible to buy a mayo or salad dressing not made with these. :)
Post a Comment