Thursday, December 13, 2012

Recipe - Pumpkin Soup

No, it does not include the cat.

I've made this several times over the past few months.  It's pretty easy, and it's healthy.  Trevor and I scarf it down (although Robert and Holly won't eat it).  I've tweaked the recipe finally to where we like it, so I'm writing it down to replicate it next time.

PUMPKIN SOUP

1 generous T. oil (1 turn of the pan)
3 T. butter
1 bay leaf
4 ribs celery, diced
2 medium yellow onions, diced
salt and pepper
4 T. flour
1-3/4 t. poultry seasoning
1/2 t. ground coriander
2 t. hot sauce, or to taste
7 c. chicken stock
2 cans cooked pumpkin puree (15 oz. cans? Whatever one pie uses.)
12 oz. can evaporated milk (I use fat free)

Garnish:
freshly grated nutmeg
craisins

Heat a medium soup pot over medium to medium high heat. Add the oil and melt the butter. Add bay, celery, and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 6 or 7 minutes until tender. Add flour, poultry seasoning and hot sauce to taste, then cook flour a minute. Whisk in chicken stock and bring liquid to a bubble. Whisk in pumpkin in large spoonfuls to incorporate it into the broth. Simmer soup 10 minutes to thicken a bit then add in evap milk.  Reduce heat to low and keep warm until ready to serve.

Garnish with nutmeg and craisins.

-----------------------------
This recipe was adapted from Rachael Ray's Pumpkin Soup Recipe.

No comments: