Monday, October 15, 2012

Life and Tortilla Rollups Recipe

Life in general has been busy.  We are nearing the end of soccer season, and we'll be going to the playoff games next week.  We ended up in fourth place out of eight teams.  This was a good (surprise) ending.  Although we think we have a great team, we didn't win as many games as we expected.  I did note, however, that we scored more goals than any other team this season, no small feat!  (And no, we did not have the most goals scored against us to contrast that.)

Holly is working on college applications.  I'm sure that everything will come down to the early November deadlines, as she is applying "Early Action" to several schools.  We'll see how things pan out, as our financial stuff is wonky, and even using FAFSA worksheets, we have no idea where our EFC will end up.  As it stands right now, she's applying to JMU, GMU, Elon, and University of Denver. She took the SAT earlier this month for the second time, and she's retaking the ACT at the end of the month. 

Trevor's new curriculum is continuing to go very well.  He's 20% through the school year already, a very nice advantage to us moving up the start of school this year by several weeks. 

I don't feel like I'm accomplishing much of anything (and believe me, I don't have much to do with any of the activities above).  Robert slipped on the basement steps Wednesday night (thought he was already on the landing), and 30 minutes later, the washer overflowed, flooding 1/3 of the basement in a LOT of water.  Robert's ankle is swollen and bruised, but it is getting better every day or two.  And the basement flooding could have been worse.  There was just a button that had been turned too hard, so no repairs necessary, and anything damaged in the basement wasn't enough to make me cry.  At least we were home (well, not me) when it happened.

The weather has turned overnight from summer to late fall.  Everyone else seems happy with this, but I'd prefer to turn the clock back a few months, in more ways than one.

Trevor went to a party on Saturday and was asked to bring a snack to share.  He's long loved Tortilla Rollups.  Since I've never found a great recipe, I winged this last minute Friday night. Apparently it was pretty good. Not only did he like it, but a friend called up raving that I should write this down and sell it, haha.  (It wasn't nearly that good, but it will do.)

TORTILLA ROLLUPS

2 bricks cream cheese, softened
1 can diced green chiles (not the usual small can, but slightly bigger, but not enough to be two small cans)
1/2 c. shredded cheddar
1/4 c. red salsa
2 T. chopped cilantro
1/2 big can black olives, chopped
2 to 3 tsp. dried minced onion
large tortillas


Mix all filling ingredients (everything but tortillas).  Spread on tortillas, roll up, and wrap in plastic wrap.  (As you continue rolling up each tortilla, you'll need to keep the edges of the tortilla free, as the filling will mush in and fill the space.)  Chill for several hours.  Before serving, unwrap, and slice in 3/4 - 1" pieces.  Eat the ends before serving; they aren't pretty, but they taste great!

It made 5 tortillas, but the first three were really, really full, so it could have made 6-7 tortillas.

No comments: