Friday, October 05, 2012

Holly's birthday

18 balloons.


Donuts for breakfast.  Writing class, where she received more kudos and positive comments from her teacher.

We dressed up for dinner at The Regency Room at Hotel Roanoke.  The kids looked gorgeous, so grown up.  They pretty much flat out refused to let me get any kind of photo, with the exception of these below.  I really should have insisted.


Holly did something so feminine and pretty with her hair.



Trevor with the computer reflection on his face.


On the way home from dinner, we stopped at Dairy Queen to pick up an ice cream cake.  Once we got home, Holly opened her gifts.  She received cash, a beautiful bracelet (from Grandma Jean), an iTunes card, a game card, ear buds, a giant bed pillow, and a makeup set.  I made this shadowbox for her using a saved baby outfit, along with her old pacifier, hospital ID bracelets, first haircut clippings, and a card she'd received at birth.




And we ate ice cream cake.


It was a very nice birthday, mostly low key, with enough celebration to honor the specialness of turning 18.

I don't know how I feel.  From the time she was six months old, I was very conscious of the fact that our time with her was, at that point, 1/36th over.  When the kids were little, Robert and I often spoke of how we were living the BEST TIMES of our lives.  I'm so thankful that we realized this at the time.  I'm excited for whatever God holds for her future, but I selfishly never want this part of my life to end either.  Well, I made it through this post without being emotional at all, until this last paragraph.  Don't want to cry in my coffee!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh Kristine...
so much in this post. First, Holly's hair is just lovely. And Trevor looks great in his suit! Sounds like a wonderful day of celebration. And then the aching that was even felt in my own heart....

Oh my. How this time seems to be fast approaching in my own household. I too, feel an almost surreal tug to grasp and store those moments in my heart and my mind...

It is what we 'want'... for our kids to grow up and become all that they are to be. But oh, how I wish time would slow down a bit. It truly just seems like yesterday that they were wearing those baby outfits.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Happy Birthday to Holly!

I understand your feelings. It is a blessing to have realized how special childhood is....