Sunday, March 25, 2012

Recipe -- Turkey Burgers with Mushroom and Blue Cheese

While in Pennsylvania, we visited the amazing Allentown Farmers Market. This isn't just a few fruit stands set up in a big parking lot. We're talking more than 60 stands, 90,000 square feet of indoor shopping, produce, deli meats and cheeses, Pennsylvania Dutch and European baked deliciousness, food for now, food for later, an incredible assortment of everything one could possibly want--all at prices comparable to my local grocery store.

Included among the peperoni rolls, the strudels, and the pickled eggs, we saw Blue Cheese Buffalo Burgers. It brought back memories of the many times I used to buy these in Colorado Springs. I was inspired.

Trevor and I also ate veggie burgers that had been prepared earlier by my cousin, a noted vegan chef. The burgers were wonderful, but the literally hours-long preparation was not for me. Still, I was further inspired. When we returned home, I found this recipe.

TURKEY BURGERS WITH MUSHROOM AND BLUE CHEESE


1 lb. lean ground turkey (I used 99%)
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1. T. oil
2 T. soy sauce
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. pepper
4 oz. container crumbled blue cheese

Mix all ingredients together. Form into patties. The recipe calls for 4 patties; I was able to make 6, but we use small buns.

Instead of bbqing, I pan sauteed at just over medium heat for 6 mins. per side.

--

Trevor's friend declared them "awesomely delicious." When he was done, I told him there were mushrooms in the burgers. He was floored; he refuses to eat mushrooms. Trevor loved me more than he ever did before. Robert thought they were really good. Holly. Well, Holly took one look, said she didn't feel well, would eat later, and left. LOL.

I froze the remaining patties, but I think it would be best to cook them before freezing. (Wouldn't the mushrooms get soggy by being frozen?)

Delicious, healthy, feel-good about yourself meal.

No comments: