Although it's parked in our lot the other two weeks each month, and I know the staff well, I've never even been in the bookmobile. It's never been a big goal of mine. However, since I like the driver, and I honestly believed it would be a hardship for the other employee being asked, I volunteered.
We talked a little bit about what I would do (check books in and out), and where we would go (locally, around town today). Then my boss dropped the bombshell.
"It's a good thing you don't get carsick."
Oo-kay. That instantly rules me out of ANYthing, because I am a Barf Queen.
But I stayed hopeful and, once my boss said it was just a local run, in town, I figured I would be juuuuuust fine!
Then I got on the bus, and Kim-the-driver told me, no, today was the longest run, the one to the farthest reaches of the county. And she wasn't kidding.

I've carried around my Sea Bandz for five years but gave them away last summer. Now I desperately needed them. Immediately, I began popping my migraine pills.

Kim was forewarned and drove accordingly. I was impressed. You can imagine how the lumbering Bookmobile rides every bump and exaggerates every turn. Kim spent 20 years in the military as an MP and a truck driver preparing for this. I don't remember even feeling woozy.
We did go to the outermost edges of the county, to the bowels of the Blue Ridge. (LOL) This is the boomtown of Henry, VA--it has its own post office, but just try to find it on a map--and we went 20 minutes or more past this "town."

All in all, a fun and otherwise uneventful day. I'm glad to finally have a chance to ride on the Bookmobile, and it was fun riding around with Kim. And now there's no need to ever do it again. I'm not going to tempt fate!
5 comments:
Hilarious post, Kristine. That picture of half your face with the bookmobile beyond is especially illustrative of your experience:) So glad you had a sympathetic driver and that you didn't hurl!
Your face is priceless...and I understand. I always thought it would be great to travel - until I began doing it all the time and remembered I'm the barf queen. LOL
hahaha! This post definitely made me laugh! :) Glad it all worked out okay. :) And I DO love that photo of you!
Before I even READ your post I saw the title and the first paragraph and KNEW you're stomach issues were going to resurface at least as a topic of discussion (LOL)!
Oh yes and KUDOS to the driver, for sure :).
Post a Comment