I've neglected my poor blog for so long. But there is nothing new or unusual to post. Perhaps that's a sign that I need to plan something? We have not been up to anything special. Life is plugging along, routine, but not boring.
We had a lovely Thanksgiving. Friends came over, and we had dinner for ten, a houseful for us. We are getting ready for Christmas.
Robert is making sure all ducks are in a row to drop our land line and go with just cell phones. He's also ensuring our county roads are kept clear of hazardous street signs and poles. Or something like that.
Work has been busy in an unexpected way. With Joyce gone, the other two of us in the children's department (the third person doesn't really count) have had to pick up the slack. What a blessing that we each have different strengths; we've easily balanced the responsibility and, I think, each preferred what fell into our lap. I've been doing virtually all of the cataloging of children's books, both for our main library and the branch. I'd dabbled in it before, but I've had to jump in all the way. There are a limited number of staff trained to do this; I am now one of four, and no one else wanted to take this on. I've also taken on the ordering of all children's materials for our main library. The children's staff continues to give input as before, but I'm the one ultimately making up and placing the order. I'm very much enjoying the computer side of these jobs. Meanwhile, it appears that a new children's librarian has been chosen. I've been praying a lot about the chosen candidate, and I'm sure Joyce would be extremely pleased with the new hire. She's expected to begin after Christmas, and I can't wait!
Holly's been doing well in chemistry and got a kick out of hearing classmates describe her as "the smart one." It has not been a particularly welcomed challenge for her, but her quarter grade is 93.7%. Sometimes she'll ask for help on her homework. As if. While I'm busy googling, finding non-answers, she gets it figured out.
Trevor has been diligently following his school schedule. He's completely enjoying Life of Fred (pre-algebra). He long ago finished the first book (of two), and he's at least 1/3 of the way through the second. Looks like he'll be starting algebra before the end of the school year. He also requested that I get Dickens' A Christmas Carol for him to read before Christmas. It's on his Lightning Lit schedule for later this year, but he's been eagerly waiting for it for several months.
Pretty much the usual goings-on. We continue to plug along in school. This is the first year that I've worked every Saturday during a school year, and it's working out well for all of us. I'm much less frazzled, feel like we have a great handle on our schedule, and the kids appreciate knowing that Saturdays are truly a day off of work, a real end of the week.
Life is good.
7 comments:
Yay, Holly! :)
I want to know more about hazardous street signs or poles.
You get to choose and order ALL the children's books for the library??? That is like homeschooler heaven!! Use your power wisely!
Linda: :)
Dad: A street sign attacked him, so he ran it down.
Susan: YES! 2-3 of us choose, just get a wider variety. It really is challenging, because I know what *I* would choose (living math and art history books), and I know what kind of crap a lot of the patrons want (vampires and slutty private schooled girls. I try to find some kind of balance in the middle.
Hi Kristine! Just wanted to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas! I've neglected our blog as well. Life is busy but good.
Laura J.
SHS
I've pretty much been ignoring my blog as well, but am really hoping to again give it a try as I go back and look at our old posts and realize that even if they are very short tidbits, it's still more than nothing which is what I have in a few years photo albums!
Sounds like you're really enjoying your job! What a blessing!
Oh and one more thing. I did just post a book review. I don't know if it's one you'd like or not, but I enjoyed it for the most part!
Post a Comment