I never got around to making this post last year, so I'm not going to postpone this time one bit. We have a few changes, nothing major. My goals include SAT prep work for Holly and to encourage thinking skills for Trevor.
I'm excited about a few subjects that will involve both kids at the same time:
Philosophy. We're using Philosophy for Kids: 40 Fun Questions That Help You Wonder . . . About Everything by David A. White, Ph.D. Holly will also read an extra book or two, or perhaps watch The Teaching Company's lecture series on Philosophy, and she will count it as half a high school credit.
Eschatology. We're using CDs from our former pastor's teachings through the Book of Revelation. .5 credit.
The rest of the lineup.
Holly:
Chemistry. Continuing to go with Lee's advice to "invest in your weakness," this will be an outside class that Holly will take, using Apologia. The woman who's taught this class for years has moved on and no longer teaching, but I'm optimistic. The new teachers are a husband/wife team, currently teaching in a public high school and homeschooling their son. They have all of the notes and information from the former teacher and are excited about this class. Apologia is also not that difficult to teach. 1 credit.
Geometry. Nothing special here, strictly Jacobs. I've heard enough negative comments about the new 3d edition, so we made an effort to find an older 2d ed. 1 credit.
Writing. Holly will be using a combination of different programs: IEW's High School Essay Intensive, Writing Strands: Writing Exposition, and reading The Lively Art of Writing. 1 credit.
Economics. Taking Lee's advice here too, choosing Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? by Richard Maybury, and the accompanying workbook, A Bluestocking Guide: Economics by Jane A. Williams. My notes to myself say, "Oh, for heaven's sake, if you feel you must do more, have her watch a Khan (Academy) video or two." .5 credit
Government. Not sure how this will all work out. Holly has considerable time with TeenPact. I may take some of that and make it into a Leadership course. If so, I have a few other ideas with what she'll do for government, but either way, she'll be reading The 5000 Year Leap and Making of America book and study guide. .5 credit.
Neurobiology. Holly specifically requested this course after discovering an interest in her biology class from last year. Her spine will be a video lecture series, Understanding the Brain from The Great Courses. She'll supplement with another video, Optimizing Brain Fitness, assorted reading, and labs that I'll be pulling together from online sources. (I have to add that I bought The Great Courses videos as a set during the annual 70% off sale.) 1 credit.
Foreign Language. I'm not sure how this will play out yet, but the goal is to get credit in this course either through a CLEP or SAT subject test. An alternative is to quickly go through two years of a text. Holly has an ear for languages and has dabbled in several over the past two years. We considered, and ultimately decided against, a dual enrollment community college Spanish class. Although it will be held just around the corner from us and is specifically for dual enrollment homeschoolers, the cost was over $500. Not worth the money and time to go twice a week just for this. 1 credit.
P.E. Playing two seasons; the coaching will go toward community service instead of P.E. 1 credit.
Study Skills. This will include PSAT and SAT prep work. .5 credit.
In print, it looks a little ambitious, but she shouldn't have any trouble keeping up with the work as long as she stays focused on the year ahead.
I'm very comfortable with Trevor's upcoming schedule, as I've used most of it in the past, either already with Holly or the same curriculum, just at a lower level. There's really nothing new here.
Devotional. Bob Schultz's Practical Happiness. Trevor's used the author's first two books in years past.
Math. Life of Fred pre-algebra. There are two books, one with an emphasis on biology, the other, economics. Trevor's completed Singapore through 6B and ready for algebra, but I'd prefer he be a little more grounded. I also wasn't up to the task of teaching another year of algebra right away, and I'll have my hands full enough with geometry. This seemed like a good middle ground, and he'll be able to cover two books during the course of the school year, enjoying Fred's escapades in a math program unlike any other (and that's an understatement!).
Writing. He'll continue with Writing Strands, finishing up Level 5 and moving into Level 6.
Literature. We'll again use Lightning Lit. Trevor used this last year, and Holly used it for 8th grade, requesting it again for 10th. Additionally, Trevor and I will continue our morning read alouds. Oh, I hope I have at least one more year of reading aloud to my son! I usually like the books we choose, and I treasure the time together!
Grammar. Shurley English, Level 7. This is the final level of Shurley. We began using this when Holly attended the cottage school in first and second grade. Both kids have used Shurley since then. At home, we've used it every other year, skipping every other level. It's worked beautifully that way for us.
History. Hmm. Thinking and rethinking this still. I want to focus on American history, and I am looking for something that will be the right "fit." My plan tonight is to focus on suggestions in The Well Trained Mind and see what I can tweak that would work for us.
Logic. The Fallacy Detective. Holly used this at about the same age, and I'm looking forward to using it again. (Hmm, looking at the website makes me wish we had the newer edition.)
He'll also be busy with Civil Air Patrol and two seasons of soccer. He's considering playing basketball again this winter.
That's it! We started today, another post on that later. I think we are all pretty good with settling back into the routine of school.
4 comments:
WOW! $500 is expensive! Gerren is doing Spanish via DE, but it's free here in FL. I do have to buy the books which cost around $100, but I can resell the book part (every class he took -3 of them- needed a computer access code which cannot, of course, be resold - it's the new scan IMO)!
Yes! It's actually just over $500, PLUS the book cost. IF she were in PS, taking a dual enrollment class, the cost would be a fraction (less than 10%) of that. And she's not eligible for financial aid because she's not a full time CC student.
That access code IS a scam. I do not hold a high opinion of textbook companies in general, and this just further cements that opinion.
LOVE curriculum posts!! :) I'll refer back to this, I am sure.
GREAT line up :). I'll have to check out a few of those things myself!
Post a Comment