The Tattooed Lady: A History by Amelia Klem Osterud
I admit it, this caught my eye as I was checking it in at work. Heavily tattooed women often performed in circus sideshows during the late 19th/early 20th century. This slightly oversized book gives a detailed account of the lives of many of them and includes plenty of pictures. Interesting reading and a lot of writing on a narrow topic. Part way through the book, I realized the same information was given over and over, and I easily skimmed the remainder of the book.
Beneath the Night Tree by Nicole Baart
This is the third book of the trilogy I've been reading, which picks up about five years after the second book. Julia continues to live with her grandmother, work, and raise her son and half-brother. Michael is still in the picture, and Julia thinks all is well--until she is contacted by Parker.
An okay ending to a good series that ran out of steam part way through.
In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson
No, this is not Stieg Larsson who wrote The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo books. It's narrative non-fiction detailing the family life of William Dodd, the U.S. ambassador to Germany from 1933-37.
I guess this book is very popular. It was interesting, but not interesting enough for me to pay attention to the names and details of the many political figures woven throughout the book. Mediocre.
The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie by Wendy McClure
Oh dear. I wanted to love this book, I really did. The author struggled to be funny but was boring and whiney (and insulting toward homeschooling, but we won't go there!). Her "research" was non-existent (please, I've read more Little House-related trivia than she has). I had high hopes and ended up disappointed. But I promise I won't be writing a book about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment