Sunday, June 26, 2011

Colleges

Holly and I visited two more schools in the past two weeks. First, we went to James Madison University up in Harrisonburg, about 1-1/2 hours north. It's a larger school than I'd realized. We attended an informational meeting and then joined a loooong, hour and a half walking tour. Holly liked it.


I forgot my camera, so this is the only picture I have.

On Wednesday, we went an hour south to Virginia Tech.


I've been to a few activities on campus, but those were just in and out of a few buildings. I enjoyed getting a larger picture.


The school is not really of interest to Holly, but she wanted to look at it anyway. Another beautiful campus; my dad reminded me that these are typical of Eastern colleges, spread out, older stone buildings. We didn't attend an informational meeting this time, but we enjoyed a nice walking tour for prospective students (despite the heat and unusual humidity, ugh). My biggest beef with Tech has been and continues to be the bathrooms from the 1930s.


I am appreciating that we live in a state with many excellent options for higher education, and it's been fun to take off with my daughter and spend time together. We had planned to eat in one of the giant cafeterias but found they don't take credit cards! (As if I carry cash . . . ) All was not lost. Chipotle was half a block away.

1 comment:

Linda said...

So exciting! When Holly decides for sure what she wants to major in, it should make choosing a school a bit easier.