Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Recipe - Macaroni and Cheese

And no, this does not include a blue box!

I've tried a variety of homemade mac and cheese recipes over the years: healthy ones that no one else liked, creamy ones with odd textures, homemade ones that were greasy, gross and complicated. Sometimes it's good not to give up.

This was a great find in a delicious cookbook written by a blogger. It's an easy, easy recipe to make, and it's one of those few foods that I could eat every day. There's a wait list at the library for this book, so I'm back in line, waiting to read it again--and try more recipes!

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

16 oz. box of uncooked macaroni (about 2-1/2 cups)
2 1/2 T. flour
1 1/4 t. salt
pepper to taste (I use about a teaspoon)
4 T. margarine
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. milk

Cook pasta until tender, drain. Mix all dry ingredients together, set aside. Spray oven safe bowl or dish with cooking spray. Place half of macaroni inside. Sprinkle half of the flour mixture over top and top with half of the margarine, sliced into small slices. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups cheese over. Repeat. Pour milk over all. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for thirty five minutes. Remove foil, bake an additional ten minutes. Serve hot.

1 comment:

Romany said...

That's interesting. I always make it starting by making a cheese sauce. This looks a lot easier!