Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dark day at my house

Trevor has joined the Civil Air Patrol, and I'm excited to post pictures of him in his uniforms. We picked up a set of BDUs and dress blues last night from a leader's house.

The negative side of this is that he must maintain the uniforms. This means ironing.

While I have an iron, I joyfully ditched my ironing board four years ago when we moved here. It was so incredibly liberating, freeing--quite similar, I am sure, to the way the bra burners felt in the 1960s.

Since I only iron twice a year, I can live without a board. It is a true story that Trevor once asked me, "What is the difference between ironing and sewing?" Great question, really, when one considers that I only hem when absolutely necessary (once in the last 14 years), and I used the iron-on tape. And it's easy for me to drop a towel on the counter and iron there.

But it's not easy for a 12 year old to iron with a towel and counter when he has to iron a dress shirt and slacks. Even if he's not sewing.

So the day I thought would never happen has. My doorstep has again been darkened, a permanent shadow cast upon my basement floor.



(That's not the real ironing board. I bought it yesterday, but it was a piece of garbage, so we returned it and spent a bit more money for one that would at least balance on all four of its legs at the same time. It was worth it; I expect to have this one until I die.)

7 comments:

Linda said...

The BDUs are WAY worse to iron because they're 100% cotton. The dress blues are easier. My kids do all their own ironing unless their dad takes pity on them. :)

heather said...

My ironing board rarely sees the light of day. I understand your gloom.

But at least it's Trevor's job and not yours, right!!!

momma24 said...

I love to iron! I really do. There is something satisfying about seeing all the wrinkles instantly disappear. Instant gratification! Now, ask me if I do it regularly...Nope! I have a pile of laundry that needs ironing and I just throw it in the dryer with a damp towel. heehee

Laura said...

Ha! I agree with you, Kristine, about ironing! When we left Nashville and Marvin's office job I put the iron and board away and have rarely taken them back out. :)

I sure wish we had a Civil Air Patrol group up here where we are. I know that Jonathan would love to be involved. We had one here many years ago, but alas, no more. :( I'll look forward to hearing about Trevor's experiences with CAP.

Cynthia said...

HAHAH! What a hoot! We don't have an ironing board either!

I just read something about a local CAP here and started to wonder if that is something Josh would be interested in. I should look into it some more.

Kristine said...

Cindy, I've heard about CAP from many people over the past several years, but Linda's stories of her boys' experience (and now Chase's!) has been a huge motivator for me!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I don't iron anyone's uniforms. Love your ironing board saga.