Friday, April 15, 2011

$$

I received a telephone call a few weeks ago from a young man purporting to be from Discover (card), who announced that we had won a $25 gift card. He claimed it was part of a giant Discover giveaway promotion.

Cynic that I am, I kept waiting to be asked for personal information. Any response of mine was a basic, monotone, "Oh really." The enthusiastic caller even asked, "Aren't you excited?"

Oh yeah.

After hanging up, I looked at the Discover website, and the giveaway seemed to be authentic. But I wasn't in a rush to spend that $25 yet.

It came a week later in the mail.



So it was a nice little win. I'm guessing I was the most indifferent and apathetic winner that the poor guy talked to that day though. It must be lousy to be giving money away and still not have people want to talk to you on the phone.

4 comments:

Jana said...

Love your new photo -- glorious spring flowers!

I had the same thing happen here: someone called wanting to survey my taste in local radio stations saying they would repay me with a small monetary gift. I complied, but very cynically, ready to hang up with the first request of private information. They never asked anything personal, and lo and behold a couple of weeks later I got a letter with 2 crisp $1 bills inside. Nice little surprise!

Jen said...

Too funny. Sadly, I would have been the same way. Of course, that would mean we actually answered the call. We screen calls heavily here. :-)

Becky said...

I would have been leary too, and probably hung up on the person. Congrats. Spend it wisely...
Your header is breathtaking! LOVE it!!
B.

Cynthia said...

hahaha.. love it.. I would have been the same way :)