Saturday, January 01, 2011

Christmas

Once I get a day or two behind in blogging, I procrastinate and torment myself over not blogging. It's a vicious cycle; I'm much too hard on myself. I hate going back so far, it makes me feel like a complete failure. And then I know how stupid I am for thinking that way, and the vicious cycle starts all over again.

We woke up to a lovely white Christmas morning! It was completely unexpected; gorgeous.


Robert and I woke up waaaay before Holly and Trevor, and we had time to read the paper, drink coffee, and get dressed. I can't help but think about the Christmases when they were younger, waking up bleary eyed, so excited, while we'd make them wait in the hall, or on the stairs, until we had everything by the Christmas tree just right: Cards placed on the tree branches, fire in the fireplace, soft lighting, Christmas music, and video camera rolling. Such sweet memories!

Trevor kept with tradition, passing out every gift from under the tree before we began opening.


Trevor leafs through a catalog in search of a still-unknown gift (which turned out to be a gift card tucked within the pages).


I get caught up in writing everything down and my picture taking becomes spotty. To top it off, every year, my Christmas pics are dark and or blurry. Perhaps it's that "mood lighting"; perhaps it's that my boy moves at the speed of light!

I opened this chopper from my mom, while my husband and kids snickered. Everyone should know to avoid giving me sharp objects!


No words necessary!


Our coffee pot was beginning to wear out. I bought a new one for Robert and he bought a new one for me. We should have known--while out shopping earlier in the week, we passed by a giant coffeemaker display, and both of us averted our eyes and bypassed it completely. We were each relieved the other didn't stop to check them out. LOL.


It's always been our tradition to give Christmas ornaments. I found a neat handcrafted Link (from Zelda) one online for Trevor. While at the ceramics store with Trevor earlier in the month, I decided to make one each for Holly and Robert.

As expected, we had a wonderful rest of the day. Dinner was simple compared to years past: spiral ham (heated in the microwave at the last minute, my best holiday secret!); cheesy mashed potatoes; Spinach Madeline; baked corn; and our ever-present Pretzel Jello Salad.

The snow had continued for most of the day--lovely snow, lovely Christmas.


-----------------------------
"The people who were sitting in darkness saw a great light, and those who were sitting in the land and shadow of death, upon them a light dawned." Mat 4:16

6 comments:

Linda said...

SO FUNNY about the coffee pots! We do ornaments, too, but the kids get them when we put up the trees. The bigger kids are picking their own out as often as not. Sigh!

heather said...

Your house looks lovely in the snow, Kristine. I especially admire the view with the mountain (or big hill?) beyond.

It appears that you and your family enjoyed a blessed Christmas!

Delightful verse, too!

P.S. Please continue to blog belatedly. It makes me feel better since I'm ALWAYS behind:)

Laura said...

I know exactly what you mean about the vicious cycle with the blog. That is SO where I am right now!!! I am hoping to get back on track and just be willing to jump right in now that it is a new year.

Can I just tell you again how much I LOVE your house?? It is so lovely! In snow, in sunshine... I just love it!!

Kristine said...

Thank you, ladies! Linda, I just know that at some point, my kids will move out and take all of their ornaments. Good for them but horrible for me!

Heather, it's a mountain or big hill, I'm not sure which. LOL!

Laura, I just love my house too. (Happy sigh.)

Often I will make a bunch of posts on one day, and then change the date so they'll publish one each day for several days. Then I look like I really good blogger. It feels like cheating and one giant relief at the same time.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Love your home all dressed for Christmas. The ornaments turned out great. Our older ones have taken theirs...but I still have allnthe photo ornaments. Blog whenever you can, it is always fun to read.

Cynthia said...

Loved the Christmas post! I'm in the same vicious cycle, but you're way far ahead of me in that you're STILL blogging and I haven't in forever! I need to though!