Thursday, December 16, 2010

Second snow!

We knew it was coming, and we were prepared. We figured out how to turn "Emergency Heat" on for the poor heat pump, which just does not heat up the house when it's 20 outside. I was scheduled to work but didn't go (they were not surprised), and Robert built a fire in the fireplace.



Soup began cooking on the stove, the kids did a little school work, and we played video games.



We drove around the corner to the soccer fields to use the saucers. We bought these after the big snows last year. To our complete surprise, there was not another soul sledding! Even Trevor remembers sledding in Colorado Springs, where there was always a crowd. We even brought Lucky along to run in the snow. I think he misses the old house the most, he no longer has the freedom to take off. The weather was almost perfect, low 30s, a little icy sleet coming down.



Robert dropped us off back at home, and he went to pick up a movie for later tonight. I made hot cocoa for Holly and Trevor.



I have to say it--what a huge relief to live on a road that is plowed by the state, to live five minutes from the grocery store, to not dread the possibility of losing power (we'd still have water; we have alternative heat).


It was a wonderful second snow of the season.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Looks like fun! My kids would just adore this. :)

Kristine said...

>>Amazing! Mommy, I'm too sick to go to Biology class today. Next day.........snow.....I'm cured.... let's go sledding!


(Dad, your comment disappeared, so I pasted it.) Actually, she was so sick over the weekend that she ASKED to go to the dr. on Monday. Poor girl, that's happened just once before in her life. We had to drag her out today, she really didn't want to go, but I didn't want her to miss it!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

It DOES look like a great day. I think I can enjoy this now, with Mike home....though I wish they'd plow the roads. LOL Hard to believe more weren't out sledding...

heather said...

Way to adapt, Kristine! Nice that your secondary (and tertiary) heat sources are working, too.

I enjoy our privacy living out in the country, but you listed the reasons I'd like to be closer to town. So glad your whole family seems to have acclimated to your new location.

Cynthia said...

We have a heat pump as well. I don't know if it's the same as yours or not, but ours doesn't heat when the temps are below 24 or 25 degrees. At that point, it kicks on the auxillary heat which is more efficient (so I'm told) than the "emergency heat" setting so you may want to check to see if there is something other than emergency on yours.

Our heat pump wasn't working yesterday and it took me all day to realize that there must be something wrong! Dh is going going to take a look at it today when it warms up enough that it should kick on :).

When it works, you sure can't beat it for heating/cooling :)

Cynthia said...

One more heat pump tip although, again, I have no idea if yours is the same as ours. You mentioned starting a fire. When it's below 24 or 25, we use our fireplace and set the fan on our heat pump to "circulate" and it takes the warm air in the room generated from the fireplace and circulates it throughout the rest of the house. That's only efficient down to about zero though. Below that I think it gets to cold as it's passing through the vents under the house and then it's just better for us to let the natural air flow of the house circulate the heat from the fireplace... the rooms furthest away are then fairly cool, but it works for us. ANYTHING to avoid kicking into the propane heater :)