Sunday, November 14, 2010

First college tour!

Holly and I planned a quick shopping trip over to Charlottesville, and Holly decided to take a tour of UVA while we were there.

It's just under two hours away, a nice drive made even nicer since our new governor raised the speed limits back up to 70. I have no idea how Holly took this picture. We were neither underneath nor directly in front of the sign. It appears she threw herself waaaaaay out the window, hanging on to the car with just her toes, but she didn't even roll down the window.


I got lost on the way to the mall, which really wasn't such a big deal, since the mall wasn't such a big deal. Happily, though, Holly bought a few shirts, and I bought makeup (original reason for the trip, haha).


We drove over to the school and lunched at Q-Doba (other reason for trip). Oh my goodness, how I love Q-Doba. Or Chipotle. Or either. Or both.


UVA is so pretty, and the history behind it fascinates me. I've posted about the school in the past; we've visited a half dozen times. Trivia for the day: Jefferson built the school on land previously owned by James Monroe. Living in California and Colorado, I've never experienced this kind of history.

We had plenty of time to make our way to the Rotunda, where the tour was to meet.


Someone noticed that you could see Monticello through the trees. We visited Monticello last month; although it looks much closer in this photo, it's about five miles away as the crow flies. (Hey! While at Monticello, I took a picture of the Rotunda, and it looks really, super far away.)


Typically, two school tours per day are offered. There are also info sessions, which were already full. Our group was large enough to split into three smaller groups, with five families on our tour.

Holly waiting.

It was a good tour (I guess, as I have nothing to compare). We walked for what seemed like miles, visiting the Amphitheater, an engineering building, a chemistry building and lecture, dorm lawn, and perhaps a few other places I've forgotten. The guide talked about different activities, her experiences, professors, campus life, and so much more.

Holly found it all interesting, and it was a great first place to visit, a fun day.

(And I learned that the street parking regulations are not strictly enforced, as I parked for almost an hour longer than permitted and was very grateful to not get a parking ticket.)

5 comments:

heather said...

Glad your trip was successful and that you found yourself after being lost:)

I've read about UVA before--appears to be an excellent school. Both a School of Architecture for Rebecca and a Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering for Christian. I haven't found a single university in Michigan that would satisfy the yearnings of both my children. Within our state, the best school for Rebecca seems to be about 2.5 hours south of us, and Christian's would be 8 hours north! Argh!

heather said...

I forgot to ask...
Is Holly leaning toward any particular field of study?

Laura said...

How exciting!! And what a lovely campus.

Kristine said...

Heather, it will be something to do with foreign language. She's such an auditory learner and has a knack for picking up the foreign (ahahaha) sounds.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Woohoo! Fun day for you and Holly.