Saturday, September 18, 2010

Friday night soccer

Right up there with requiring shin guards and cleats is the league rule which states NO JEWELRY. We agree with the rules; the problem is that Holly's ears will close in literally a few hours. The remedy is to cover her assorted piercings with band-aids. It's just part of getting dressed for soccer.



Another win for the 13+ team, which is undefeated and currently in second place (they have a goal scored against them; the first place team has not been scored on yet).



The rule about elbows isn't quite as black and white.

You go, Holly!

Trevor's team also won, and they are in first place--pretty typical. I didn't take pics of that game, as it was too dark by then to get good shots.

Fall soccer games are played in Roanoke, adjacent to beautiful Mill Mountain,

(moon!)

Carilion Hospital,



and the LifeGuard helicopter pad.

(and moon again!)

I never tire of the gorgeous scenery or of watching the helicopter take off and land. And the wins go a long way for making it a great night too.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Now that's the most interesting piece of soccer gear I've ever seen! :)

momma24 said...

Great pics! Love the band aids. They won't even let our girls do that, they have to take them all the way out. Sarah got called twice today for elbowing! lol

Debbie said...

When I first saw the picture, I thought she got injured. Glad it is just a normal part of her soccer equipment.

Great shots.

Kristine said...

Renita, I don't think they do "let" them, but no one's complained. She had two holes close up two seasons ago when she took out her earrings that she'd had in for 3+ months. I don't believe that it should come down to the choice of not having her ears pierced at all or playing soccer, kwim? (Well, at this point, her two original holes will finally stay open, but they are 10 years old.)

If I had to, I'd take her to the doctor to get a note in an effort to permit it. I know the jewelry rule is also to protect other players, but since they are covered with band-aids, the band-aids would mitigate harm to anyone else by preventing them from snagging themselves on her earrings.

Cynthia said...

LOL.. that's quite the protective ear gear!