Monday, August 16, 2010

Recipe -- Garlic Bread

Does that seem like an odd recipe to post? Isn't garlic bread easy? What we really like are the ooey, gooey ones with loads of cheese, garlic, chili powder, butter, mayonnaise. For obvious reasons, I've avoided making those for several years. (Oh, that makes me sad!)

In looking for something a little more healthful, I came across this. I didn't feel like I was serving a heart attack on a plate, and everyone scarfed it up. It was simple to make, and I can guess we'll be eating this often.

GARLIC BREAD

4 cloves of garlic, crushed (next time, I'm using 6!)
3 T. butter
3 T. oil
1 loaf crusty bread, split
3 T. grated Parmesan cheese, optional
chopped fresh parsley, optional (do most people really have this on hand? I don't.)

Combine garlic, butter and oil in a microwave safe dish or in a small saucepan. Heat garlic and butter and oil in microwave for 1 minute or in a small pot over moderate-low heat for 3 minutes until melted.

Toast split bread under broiler. Remove bread when it is toasted golden brown in color. Brush bread liberally with garlic oil. Sprinkle with cheese, if using, and parsley. If you added cheese, return to broiler and brown 30 seconds. Cut into chunks and serve.

Hmm. I wonder if I can eat the leftovers before breakfast while everyone's still sleeping . . .

1 comment:

Amanda said...

we are a garlic lovin' family and I think that I have a few around here who are gonna love this one!