Tuesday, June 01, 2010

The Rotunda

Holly and I took advantage of the long weekend and drove up to the University of Virginia in Charlottesville on Saturday. UVA has quite a history; it was founded by Thomas Jefferson.

The original grounds consisted of the Academical Village, the focal point of which was (and still is) the Rotunda. All buildings continue to play a very prominent role in the school today.



(Oh yeah, there's a Q-Doba a few blocks away, and that was our first stop. But I digress.)

A fire destroyed the original building in 1895, and students worked desperately to save this marble statue of Jefferson.



Originally a lecture hall, this room now holds meetings of the school's governing board.



This room contains original maps from Jefferson's day; now doctoral dissertations are defended.



The architecture was lovely.



The crown jewel of the Rotunda is the historic Dome Room.



The oculus.



Although the Rotunda was modeled after Rome's Pantheon, Jefferson also incorporated ancient Greek architectural styles.



Lining the perimeter of the architectural village were faculty and student housing. Incredibly, to us, faculty and selected undergrads still live in these buildings today. The rooms did not look cozy at all, and I can't imagine living with your front door opening onto a busy park.


Most of the rooms were empty, as school has ended for the summer.


It was gorgeous and really fascinating to walk around. It's a 2.5 hour drive, and this was an impromptu trip to Charlottesville, but it was great to get away for the afternoon, to spend time with Holly, and to just enjoy the day.

4 comments:

Linda said...

What a cool field trip!

Cynthia said...

What FUN! I'd love to live out that direction where there would be so many things to see and do within a few hours drive.

Laura said...

Looks like a fun day! I hope to follow in your footsteps one of these days. I swear we really are going to head east one of these days. (as soon as I can convince my husband... he doesn't like to go east of the Mississippi River!!) :)

Laura said...

Isn't that funny, Cynthia. The opposite reason is why my hubby would love to live where YOU are! :)