Thursday, May 20, 2010

Recipe -- Potato and Red Onion Frittata

I found this in Taste of Home magazine recently. I was a little nervous about trying it--I usually think recipes sound much better than they really are. But this was a huge hit. Robert and Trevor asked if I'd make it Christmas morning. Fine, but I'd like to have it sooner than that! And we ate it for dinner, along with rolls and fruit.

Potato and Red Onion Frittata

1 small red onion, chopped
4 T. butter, divided
6 large mushrooms, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 lb. red potatoes (about 5 small), thinly sliced
6 eggs
1/3 c. milk
1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
dash salt and pepper

In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, saute onion over medium heat in 1 T. butter until tender. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook a few minutes longer until mushrooms are soft. Remove from the pan and set aside.

In the same skillet on medium heat, cook sliced potatoes in 2 T. butter until tender and golden brown. Remove.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and milk. Stir in cheese, and onion mixture. Melt remaining butter in the skillet; tilt pan to evenly coat. Add egg mixture. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until nearly set.

Top with potatoes; bake for 3-5 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges. Yield: 4 servings.

--------------------

The original recipe did not call for mushrooms; it's easy to add any vegetables of your choice.