Monday, May 17, 2010

Assorted Book Reviews

Christy by Catherine Marshall

UGH! This was required reading for Holly's Notgrass American history. The inclusion of this book speaks for itself--Notgrass is wildly inconsistent in its quality of literature readings. Some books have been good, typical, expected: To Kill a Mockingbird; Uncle Tom's Cabin; The Scarlet Letter. Then there are books like Christy.

I don't know why I decided to read along, but I'm glad I did. I loathed this book, the main characters lacked any appeal, and I found the whole book ridiculous. Holly compared it to Little Women (which tops her list of worst-ever books). I know it's supposed to be based on the life of the author's mother, and that bugged me too: What part was real, what part was fake? Whatever the case, it was all phony.

I think very highly of Notgrass's history--the actual "history" part of it. I'm glad Holly's going back to Lightning Lit next year for literature.

Vent over!

As I'm adding in the amazon link, I'm amused at the incredibly high ratings this book received. Obviously I've missed something, but whatever. !

Already Gone: Why Your Kids Will Quit Church and What You Can Do to Stop It by Ken Ham and Britt Beamer

A local friend highly recommended this book. Wow. It made me rethink several things in my family's life right now. It helped open my eyes and heart, and encouraged me to make a drastic change.

You only have one chance with your kids.

I'd love to loan this book out. Send me a private email or leave a comment.

Murder by Family: The Incredible True Story of a Son's Treachery and a Father's Forgiveness by Kent Whitaker

Kent Whitaker's 19 year old son Bart arranged to have the family murdered; Kent's wife and younger son were both killed. This is the story of Kent's journey and forgiveness between the time of the murders and the trial and subsequent death penalty given to Bart for his responsibility in the killings. Interesting read.

2 comments:

Jana said...

Hey Kristine! long time no see! I'm still around, just haven't been blogging lately. But I have been keeping up with you through your blog. keep writing, ok? I'll be back online soon. I think I'm just in a dry spell because some big changes are going on right now and I don't have time to think about the blog. Anyway, I'd love to borrow the Ken Ham book if you haven't loaned it out already. Thanks!

Kristine said...

Hi Jana! You are fourth in line, the first person should be getting it in the next few days. I hope you can wait, but it shouldn't take too long. :)

I'm praying that all of your changes are good changes. God is SO good, all the time.