Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Easter

Instead of gently springing, we've wildly jumped from winter into summer. The weather's been wonderfully warm to me; Robert's not dealing well with the heat. Our "secret" A/C wars are heating up, where we alternate tiptoeing past the thermostat to change what the other person set.

Sunday was beautiful. We had a lovely church service and came home to relax for the rest of the day.



The kids played with their baskets and dyed eggs. Trevor had asked me to make the bunny cake my mom made for us almost 40 years ago. Any bunny cake of course must be carrot, so I used my mom's famous recipe.



Sometime that day, my brain left my body:

While making sugared almonds, I forgot them on the stove, only to find them burned on the bottom of the pan.

I set the potatoes on high to boil. Wondering why I'd heard popping sounds for five minutes, I investigated and found I'd forgotten to add any water to the pot.

I fixed a turkey, something I've done a dozen and a half times before. Robert, upon carving, pulled the cooked bag of giblets from the turkey cavity. (Well, I'd taken the neck out, at least!)

I'm sharing this only because I am usually quite competent in the kitchen. This was a pretty simple dinner, nothing overwhelming or stressful. I don't know what I was thinking, but I can laugh at myself!

To top it off, I found a bag of candy and a box of marshmallow peeps the day after Easter. I'd forgotten to add these in the kids' Easter baskets. I can see the bright side of that: Peeps are my favorites, and so far, no one else in my family knows about that bag of M&Ms . . . .

3 comments:

momma24 said...

Sounds like me cooking last week! lol

Cynthia said...

Nice cake!

berrypatch said...

I just went grocery shopping today and picked up a TON of discounted chocolate. I dropped it in the freezer. It should last most of the summer - I think....