Saturday, February 06, 2010

Recipe - Belgian Waffles

Many years ago, my sister-in-law gifted me with a Belgian waffle maker. I pull out occasionally, but we really should use it much more than we do. Trevor made a request for chocolate chip waffles the other day. Since we're snowed in and I have nothing else to do, it seemed like a great plan to me.



BELGIAN WAFFLES

2 egg yolks
2 c. milk (I made it buttermilk by adding a little vinegar)
2 c. regular flour (I substituted half wheat flour)
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. oil
2 egg whites, stiffly beaten

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except beaten egg whites. Beat on low until moistened; increase to medium and mix until smooth. By hand, gently fold in beaten egg whites.

Preheat griddle. When ready, pour 1/2 c. batter over grids. Close waffle maker, bake until steam no longer escapes, 3-5 minutes. Serve hot with your favorite topping (I ate mine plain). This recipe made six large waffles for me, and I froze the leftovers.

**To make chocolate chip waffles, add one cup chocolate chips to batter just before folding in egg whites.

**To make blueberry waffles, fold 2 c. fresh (or frozen but not thawed) berries into batter just before folding in egg whites.

Try this Maple Syrup and Banana Sauce topping--it was easy and delicious!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

YUM! I've been thinking we need a Belgian waffle maker instead of our regular one... maybe I'll ask for one for Christmas this year.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

What an awesome photo!!!!! I love our belgian waffle maker.