Thursday, February 25, 2010

Book Reviews

Faith of My Fathers by Lynn Austin

As Book 4 of the Chronicles of the Kings series begins, King Hezekiah is dead and his young son Manasseh is on the throne of Judah. Manasseh turns to sorcery and idolatry, eventually defiling the Temple which his father so faithfully restored. Eliakim's son Joshua emerges as the protagonist, seeking to preserve Yahweh's faithful remnant from the wrath that Isaiah prophesied upon Judah.

I enjoy Biblical historical fiction, but it is so important to remember that this IS fiction. Without scriptural reference, it is impossible to discern what is Truth and what is the imagination of the author. I found myself constantly looking to my Bible to see where this book blurs the lines. This story provides one possible explanation for the disappearance of the Ark of the Covenant, but in reality, it is one remote possibility among many--we don't know what happened.

That said, although this book began slowly, it was my second favorite of the series. I would often get caught up and find my heart racing wildly as the author wove her story. I am both excited and disappointed to read the next book--I want to know what happens but I don't want the series to end. This is right up there with Francine Rivers' Mark of the Lion series.

Still Growing: An Autobiography by Kirk Cameron

A nice, simple book about Kirk's family life, rise to stardom in the television series Growing Pains, and his transformation from teen idol to evangelist; nothing remarkable.

A Year Without "Made in China": One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy by Sara Bongiorni

With a little effort, this could have been an interesting book. Unfortunately, the effort wasn't there. On a whim, the author decides to not buy anything Chinese for a year. She barely convinces her husband to join, then refers to him throughout as "The Weakest Link." The only "rule" seems to be that the family won't buy Chinese-made items: they keep any they already own; gifts don't count, so she persuades relatives to give her gifts made in China; although she won't replace her Chinese-made ink cartridge, she'll go to the library and print copies there.

The title is flat out not true. This wasn't a "year without 'made in China.'" It was thinly veiled guise to stay home and write a whiny, pointless, and boring book.

Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe (and Parents Sane): by Gavin deBecker

I've read this book before, commenting on it when I posted a review of the author's book The Gift of Fear. Both are excellent books; I highly recommend reading at least one of them. In a small coincidence, this book was on my nightstand waiting to be read, and I came across deBecker's name while reading Kirk Cameron's book.

No comments: