If I ever think too much that I'm not doing anything, all I need to do is review my book reviews.
The Strength of His Hands by Lynn Austin
Another wonderful installment in the Chronicles of the Kings series I've been reading through. I am convicted and encouraged by Hezekiah's story, and I'd love to find a good study on him. I'm disappointed to see that the author has not written any other Biblical historical fiction, but I'm eager to get into the final book of the series.
Going Rogue: An American Life by Sarah Palin
It's no secret that I am a big Palin fan. This book, however, was a let down. Seemingly written for an audience capable of reading at fifth grade level, Sarah topically shares the details of her life from birth through the 2009 presidential election. I would have preferred something more substantial about her faith and her political views. (Now be nice, she does have them.)
I'll hold out hope for the next book; I'm sure there will be more.
On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage by Robert Alden Rubin
Even back when I was a kid, I was captured by books of walking across the U.S., of sailing around the world, of trekking through Alaska with sled dogs, of scaling frozen mountains. For as much as I am an indoor person, I enjoy living vicariously through the adventures of others.
Since we now live so close to the Appalachian Trail, I figured it was time to read another book about it. This was a good one; surely not the best, but one that kept me interested in the trek.
It's been awhile since I've read an Appalachian Trail book.
The author of On the Beaten Path struggles with a mid-life crisis, quits his job and leaves his wife for six months to hike the 2,160 mile long Trail. Along the way, he meets interesting characters, gains self-discovery and realizes that he has a pretty good life.
Not bad, not memorable; a gentle and relaxing read.
Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt
Five years ago, this book was highly lauded as "dazzling," "politically incorrect," "engaging," and "rich in insights." I laud it as one of the most overrated bestsellers ever.
Economist Levitt supposedly turns boring economic statistics to topics that interest us: finding similarities between sumo wrestlers and schoolteachers, and the KKK and realtors; how parenting choices do--or don't--determine our children's success; the real reason crime dropped dramatically in the 199os, and more.
(Did I really say "topics that interest us"?)
Levitt puts his spin on statistics, how to read them, how to apply them, and how they divulge "surprising truths." As with many statistics used to show cause and effect, *I* could easily pick apart his "reasonings"--which means anyone could.
And yes, I'm still interested in reading his latest SuperFreakonomics. I don't want to know what sociological trend that indicates.
5 comments:
Thank you for sharing about Lynn Austin. I LOVED Gods & Kinds & I have the next book coming my way. Interestingly enough my library system has books 1 & 2 and 4 & 5 but not three. Bummer. I need to just buy them. I liked them that much.
I'm with you on the adventure books; I love those. I am currently non-adventurous though.
Lisa, I'm so glad you are enjoying them! I got the recommendation from a friend.
Susan, my goodness, you always have some sort of adventure going on in your life! If you're in a lull right now, I'm sure it won't last, lol.
Thanks for the reviews. I just started the first book in the God and Kings series... hooked from the first page!
I bought the Palin book for my inlaws for Christmas. I'm planning to borrow theirs and read it some day.
My older girls had to read Palin's book for school. Yes, I made them!I liked that it was very easy to follow, otherwise, I don't think they would have wanted to stick with it. We all gasped when we read about her creation theory. I think she was trying to be very careful not to offend and to appeal to a broad base. Kiana drew a picture of her and entered it in the HSLDA annual art contest. We "kinda" like her, too!!
Post a Comment