Monday, October 26, 2009

Stupid things I say

I really should have a label for these. But it might be too painful.

I was checking out books to a Susan Nickel today, and then to her daughter Jessica. Little Jessica spelled her last name for me, "N-i-c-k-e-l." Because she's little and cute, I just had to say something.

Me: I bet you're glad your name's not Penny!

(Mom and daughter give each other a looong look before Mom looks back at me.
)

Mom: My name used to be Penny before I legally changed it to Susan.

* * *

I of course died of embarrassment. The mom showed a LOT of grace and was very nice about it. She said that's exactly why she changed her name. I swore I wouldn't talk to anyone else the rest of the day.

But I did anyway.

5 comments:

The Tortoise said...

Funny. I used to work with a guy named Ralph Nickel who married a woman named Penny.

Cynthia said...

Who could have known? How in the world do you fall into these things (LOL).

Anonymous said...

Penny obviously should never married a Nickel.
Should of looked for Sam Dollar, anyway.

berrypatch said...

Oh my...it's a little bit funny - admit it! ;-) My MIL's maiden name was Ballou (Ba-lou) & she married a Berry so we call her a "Ba-lou-berry" & she collects blueberry stuff.

momma24 said...

roflol That is too funny!