Saturday, October 17, 2009

As if I can't get to the library enough...

I finally broke down this week and got a Roanoke County library card. There are enough books that my small library just doesn't have; I appreciate the many options available through a multi-branch system, particularly for school. In my spare time (hahahahahahaha), I also hope to take advantage of their music selections to use with Trevor for history. Yes, I can do interlibrary loans for free, but that is a big expense for my library, and I know firsthand many ways which that money can better be spent.


I was very interested in the workings of this other library, peeking into their backroom, paying attention to the new card processing in a different way than most people would. I hate to say it, but I like their catalog system a thousand times better--it's so easy to find things, identical to my beloved, former system in Colorado Springs.

It's like comparing apples to oranges, my main branch to this Roanoke County main branch (which is one of six locations). My library does stand out favorably though, as our children's department is six times larger, and we have a comparable number of public use computers. The killer is that I'll have to figure out which books go back to which library, and I have a feeling I'll be facing a few more overdue charges than I do now--to a library that charges more for late fees.

But...I'll be able to find books like these, things I've been wanting to read to Trevor for quite a while.


So it's a good tradeoff, one I'm willing to make. I've always said, You can never have enough library cards. Or something like that.

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

We don't have many choices for libraries around here. Our little one in our town has a very small collection. My own library is probably more up to date. We (as in the homeschoolers in general) did find out that we can use the ps libraries, but I don't know if very many have tried that or not.

I can see a spreadsheet coming on for you to keep track of which books go where and when (LOL)!

Debbie said...

Hope it all works out, Kristine. It is always great to have access to a larger library.

The libraries around here are on a library system...you get books from other libraries, but not through interlibrary loan. I don't understand the difference, but each library can get books from the other libraries in their system and there is a courier service that goes between all the libraries. When I go online to look for books, I'm checking all 52 libraries in our system, not just our local library. Also a great feature, I can return the books to any of the 52 libraries and it will find it's way back to it's home. I love, love, love our library system. Now there are still books I can't find and then I can request interlibrary loan, which then checks other libraries outside of their system. I have not tried this, as usually I can find something comparable.

Kristine said...

Cindy, that's great that you have the option to use ps libraries, although knowing your "ick factor" with libraries, I am confident you'll never give that too much consideration!

Debbie, Roanoke County has several libraries within its district; it's also tied in with three other library systems. Like your system, I can now get books from these different systems, but there are only 18 libraries total. Wow, to have 52!!!!! Library envy here! lol

One of the things I seriously checked before moving here was what our library would be like. I always figured I could get a Roanoke card too if I wanted a bigger selection! That's probably an odd priority, but it sounds like YOU can understand!

Cynthia said...

You're right, Kristine.... I'm not about to venture to the ps library. It's bad enough that I have to get a few books from the county library.

momma24 said...

We LOVE the library!! Just look at the checkbook and see how many checks we've written for fines and you will just how much! lol