Saturday, April 25, 2009

Friday

Standardized testing began today. Our school district provides it for free. The key word there is "free." It still bugs me to have them involved in any way at all, but it's easy to just show up on the testing date and then wait for the results. (Does this mean that my principles can be bought?)


The process is pretty informal. Both this year and last, I've watched them give a child extra time needed to finish timed tests. Three or four grades are usually grouped into one time period, and Holly and Trevor tested at the same time this year. It was very convenient.

I used to prepare my kids with test prep books, so they would know what to expect, and to expose them to possibly differently worded questions. Now that we test every year, it's gotten to be routine. I know what my kids know and how well they know it, much better than any test result can tell me, one way or another. We test strictly to fulfill our state's legal requirements.

I had just enough time to go shopping.

There was a slight delay getting home, as our road is being repaved. I considered parking the car and walking home, but Holly and Trev didn't want to lug groceries even a short way.


This was the second soccer game of the season, and it was gorgeous out.


Holly's team had most of her regular players, and they won their game. Last week, 40% of our team was gone for to a youth conference, and the game was ugly. Thankfully, they can now (only!) move up in the standings.


I am really proud of Holly getting in there and playing on this co-ed team. Most of the boys are bigger than she is, but that doesn't seem to faze her. She came home with a good bruise on her leg, and a cut on her toe where someone stepped on her foot.

Trevor's team won too. Most of his team has played together for a while. This is his social time, and he looks forward to hanging out with his friends while Holly's team is playing.


It's my social time too. I get to chat with my friends and hope I don't miss any soccer action. Hooray for warm weather--I don't expect to be pulling out my down coat like I was doing back in October!

:)

8 comments:

berrypatch said...

Wow - I'm surprised it's a co-ed team for Holly at that age. Good for her for going up against those bigger boys! We just started baseball but I'm already looking forward to soccer. Our rec dept is even doing a Challenger one-week camp this summer with British coaches. It looks really good.

Jana said...

Kristine, I love seeing pictures of where you live. I've always thought, if I didn't live here on the lake I'd move to the mountains. Hope the testing went well :-)

Heather said...

Kristine,

You capture such neat angles with your photography. And you think of fun subjects to capture--the sign on the door and your grocery cart:) Trevor looks like he's gulping there--LOL. Of course, your view of the mountains is beautiful as always.

In your spare time :) you should be a professional photographer!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I am in awe of all the GREEN in your area and rolling hills.....lovely.

Wild Homeschool Family said...

Good job Holly! Those boys look pretty big!!

Cynthia said...

Tis the season - road work and soccer (LOL).

Michelle said...

I agree with your other noter, you could easily do professional photography. I come on here sometimes just to see the pictures you take. The nature ones you take for the header on your blog are awe inspiring.

We haven't done our tests yet, but we will be doing that soon. I'm like you, we used to prep for it, now it's just standard routine.

Enjoy your warmer weather! :)

Kristine said...

Wow, thanks for the comments on the photos. I'm flattered!

Lisa, I agree, I couldn't believe it's co-ed. I'm not sure why; but it is a Christian hs league, maybe it's just to keep everyone together more easily. (Which is already a juggle with 300 kids in three different age groups.)

Jana, I've always thought your area looks so similar. You're just a little further south and on the water!

DeEtta, I'm thinking you'll have lots of green in Misawa?