Saturday, February 14, 2009

Recipe -- Orange Chicken

Thanks to Heather for posting the link to this recipe. My family devoured it (even calling dibs on the leftovers for lunch the next day). I couldn't believe that I could fry the chicken up so nicely and have the whole thing turn out so lovely and good! I made a few slight changes from the original.


Orange Chicken

2 lbs. chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
2 t. garlic powder
1/2 c. of flour
1/2 c. of cornstarch
3 eggs, beaten with a little milk
oil

Mix cornstarch, flour and garlic powder together. Dip chicken pieces in the egg and then the flour mixture. Fry in hot oil over medium high until golden brown. Do this in several batches to keep chicken from sticking together. Drain on paper towels. Place chicken in a casserole dish.

Sauce:
1-1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. ketchup
1/2 c. of water
2 T. soy sauce

While chicken is cooking, prepare sauce. Mix all ingredients together in a pan and bring to a boil. Stir gently until sugar dissolves.

Pour sauce over chicken. Cover and bake 30-40 mins. at 350 until chicken is cooked through.

(Yes, there is no orange juice or other orange flavoring. The "orange" comes from the coloring.)

4 comments:

Jana said...

That looks like a good recipe! You know, I never ordered Orange Chicken at the restaurant, because I assumed it had orange flavoring in it. duh!

Donna said...

I've saved this recipe and am planning to make it next week. It looks really good-thanks for sharing :)

Cynthia said...

YUM YUM YUM. That looks delicious. Can you do me a favor and email me the link since I'm not at my home computer right now. I don't want to forget to try this! THANKS!

Anonymous said...

How honored I am that you found this recipe on my humble blog. Too bad I wasn't the cook to actually create it--LOL:)