Wednesday, December 24, 2008

'Twas the (Day and) Night Before Christmas

It was a little later than usual, but Trevor decorated the gingerbread house. This has been a long time tradition in our family, beginning when the kids were 3 and 7. It's much easier than it looks! The kits have premade icing, and we (meaning Robert) finally figured out the key to easy decorating is to that before assembling the house.



Holly and Trevor finished up last minute wrapping.



It's no surprise that my son does not know the purpose of an iron. I don't iron, and I don't sew. However, since I don't sew, I v-e-r-y infrequently have to iron. But I no longer own an ironing board, and I'm pretty proud of that fact.

Kristine's Idiot's guide to hemming.

After all that strenuous activity, Trevor settled in for PS. (Actually, he did do two hours of school work today. We've been off schedule this month.)

I'm not sure what's with the jacket. It's not that cold around here!

This looks disgusting, and it is. Front burner: chorizo for the Breakfast Burritos we had for an early dinner. Do you KNOW what this is made of? BLECH. Back burner: sauce for meatballs that we took for church gathering tonight--a jar of chili sauce and a jar of grape jelly.

I put frozen meatballs into the crockpot and covered them with the sauce.
They were a HUGE hit. :)

Robert arranging the cheese and crackers to take tonight.


We manage to plan a lot of our church activities around food. We had tables on both sides of the room, additional plates of food tucked underneath the tables, and guards (okay, Moms) on duty to make sure the kids didn't eat everything before the grown ups came through.



We stayed until the end. How CUTE is this little girl putting away one of the chairs?!



It was a great night, warm and a little drizzly...



and a lovely Christmas Eve.

7 comments:

Becky said...

It sure looks like you are one busy family.
Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. We spent the day with my sister, and it was so good to have us all there together.
1" of new snow yesterday, and freezing rain, and then warmer temps heading our way.
Have a great day.
B.

Anonymous said...

Your random photos are always so entertaining, Kristine:)

Donna said...

Thanks for the lesson on hemming, Kristine. lol.

Laura said...

Some day we will actually make a gingerbread house.... I am just sure of it. When that will be, not so sure.

I love the last photo you took of the street at night.

momma24 said...

WHAT is it made of? I have never heard of that stuff on your stove!

Kristine said...

Oh...just pork and spices...

(she said so innocently)

:)

Cynthia said...

So glad you have found such a wonderful church to call home!