CARAMEL APPLE CAKE WITH CARAMEL TOPPING
2 1/2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. oil
3 c. all-purpose flour
2 t. vanilla
1 c. chopped walnuts
2 1/2 c. diced apples (canned or fresh) (I used fresh, peeled and chopped)
Preheat oven to 350. Cream together sugar, eggs and oil. Add flour and mix until well blended. Add vanilla, nuts and apples. Spread into lightly greased 9x13 baking dish. Bake 50 minutes, or until done (do the toothpick test). When cake is done, poke holes in it with a knife and pour topping over.
Topping:
3/4 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/4 c. milk

Heat all ingredients together over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Let boil for 2 minutes. Pour over warm cake.
This is right after pouring the topping over; it will sink in over the next several hours.You don't want to serve this cake right away; room temp or chilled is best.
Serves 15 to 20. I'd usually never consider cutting a cake into pieces this small, but a little cake here goes a long way.
Notice that there is no baking powder, and yes, the 3/4 c. of butter is not a mistype. That's three sticks. When I make this again (and I will make this again!), I will cut back on the topping, making just 3/4 of a recipe. I might consider adding cinnamon to the cake batter too.
Perhaps it would be more appropriately titled Death By Caramel. :)
2 comments:
Death by Caramel - I love it! :) Joshua wanted an apple cake for his birthday. I found a Rachel Ray one that had apple filling and caramel frosting. It was good but this sounds over the top yummy.
Have you ever made the Pioneer Woman's apple dumplings? Those are incredible.
Oh, Kathy, I just checked out PW. Tempting, so tempting! But looking at all the sugar and butter, it might even be worse than this one! LOL
Post a Comment