Sunday, November 23, 2008

Book Reviews - When the Heart Cries; and When the Morning Comes by Cindy Woodsmall

These are the first two books in a three-part series, Sisters of the Quilt, by first-time author Cindy Woodsmall. I read these in preparation for an upcoming Blog Tour of the third book (and I'll also be giving away a copy, so keep your eyes open!). If you've enjoyed books by Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter, this is definitely a series for you.

When the Heart Cries. Hannah Lapp is a 17 year old Amish girl with a secret Mennonite boyfriend. At the beginning of the story, Hannah is raped by a stranger. (I was surprised by this storyline, although it was handled very vaguely and briefly, even referred to as "the unmentionable" by her parents.) As word of Hannah's pregnancy spreads throughout her community, rumors of her boyfriend and other "offenses" are revealed. Faced with losing those she loves, Hannah flees in search of the aunt whom she has never met.

When the Morning Comes. Settling in with her aunt and her aunt's adoptive family, Hannah struggles to adapt to the world of Englischers. As her world opens and her heart begins to heal, Hannah pursues a career in the medical field and finds a second chance at love. Her carefully pieced together new life begins to unravel when she receives a desperate phone call from home.

Again, I've really liked these books. I've already started the third book and am anxious to finish it. I absolutely recommend this series. :)

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

HEY! Guess what. I'm doing the same blog tour. We better find some new readers or else you, DeEtta, and I are going to end up with books with no one to give them to (LOL). Unlike you though, I was not able to read the first two first because our library didn't have the first one. I'm waiting on it now and I think it should be here anytime. I couldn't take a chance on not getting the 3rd one read in time though so I had no choice but to start with it. Sure glad they had the index of characters from the first two books so I could refer back to it throughout this 3rd book!

Kristine said...

THAT is funny! I do like the series, but I had hoped the end would be a little different (at least so far, I'm about 10 pages away from finishing).