Saturday, September 06, 2008

First casualty of the school year

The best-laid plans of mice and men
often go awry

Isn't that the truth?

I'm pleased with how our first week went. Most everything was done as scheduled. The new changes that we've introduced so far have gone over very well. We need to revisit Our 24 Family Ways; this is not working for us at night, and we will move it back to early in our school day.

As I was preparing our schedule for the upcoming school week, I glanced through our new Spectrum Writing books. EEEEEEK! WHY is "Updated and Revised" so often synonymous with "Kiss of Death"? I've raved about Spectrum but I must Update and Revise.

Gone are the black and white pages. Gone are the two-page lesson spreads. Gone are wide lines for easy writing. As disappointed as I was, I was thinking, maybe we can still make this work. (Actually I was thinking What in the World Do I Do Now?) And then I saw the story circles, or story wheels, whatever those dumb things are called. I hate those things, and there's no way that "Updated and Revised" will work for us.

At least I have options. I own IEW; I have several of the Logos School Imitation in Writing books, along with IEW's Bible Based Writing Lessons. We're already using Shurley, which includes a writing curriculum. And I have several Writing Strands lesson books. I probably have more; that's just what I can recall off the top of my head.

So it's back to Writing Strands. WHEW. I will have to pick up a higher level book for Holly, but I already have the book for Trev. The first casualty was totally out of the blue, unexpected, but at least it's a minor one.

So far, so good. I can go a little awry.

10 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh, Kristine, say it isn't so. This is what I had planned for Gabe. Oh, no, oh, no! Of course, we didn't use the old "unrevised" version, so maybe it would still work for us.

Ugh, I hate when companies go and mess with something that has worked.

Anonymous said...

The accurate finish to that quote is "gang aft aglae".
In case you are interested.

Kristine said...

Debbie, I'm sorry! But I hate change. Just because *I* would not like it does not mean that it wouldn't be absolutely fine for my kids.

And just to prove that I mean that: I'd forgotten until right now that I've not liked Writing Strands in the past. However, it's been a great fit for Holly, she has enjoyed it and done well. So I'm used to it now, and I'm sure it will be fine for Trevor too.

I'm also the mom who said I will *N*E*V*E*R use Singapore math again.

I've learned that God has a good sense of humor, and I know better than to say we'll never use Saxon again. :)

Dad: I am interested. Kind of. Since I've flunked Latin for the last two years, it also rather depresses me that I can't translate this, and I had to google.

Laura said...

Don't you just hate it when that happens?? :)

Anonymous said...

Has nothing to do with Latin.
It's from, if I remember from scool a long time ago, Robert Burns, in To a Mouse, or something like that.
It's Scottish I think.
Strange the things you remember.

Romany said...

Aye, your dad's right. Here's the first verse:

Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,
Wi' murd'ring pattle!

What was wrong with Singapore?

Glad your first week went well.

Kristine said...

Oh, Dorothy, I love it! I wish that I could pronounce it the way it's supposed to be said!

Singapore: Holly used Saxon for K and part of 1st in ps. We switched to Singapore when we began hsing. By the time we were halfway through 2nd grade, one of us would end up in tears during math. I threw up my hands, Robert said SPEND THE MONEY ON SAXON (yes, I think he shouted!), and I swore to never use Singapore again.

Two years ago, both of my kids were using Singapore again and successfully continue with it still. I've been very careful to not say we'll never use Saxon again. God has a sense of humor, and I'd really prefer to see it play out in subjects such as writing or science--just not math, lol.

Cynthia said...

Do you happen to need Level 4 or 5?

Kristine said...

Cindy, thanks, but I have 3, 4, 5. I just ordered 6 last night.

Jodi said...

This is pretty funny, we've already had a casualty or two as well. Made for a fun blog post.

I too have found myself using things I said I'd never use again. I sold some things which were bad fits for my oldest and might have been perfect for my younger guys! Live and learn!!