For the past year, we've heard great things about a Christian homeschool rec league. Practically everyone we know plays in the league (or so it seems). Although Trevor's never had any desire to play, we went ahead and signed him up. He was less than pleased, but we figured he might enjoy a season of team sports, especially since lots of his friends play, and we knew he'd enjoy the opportunity to be around a slew of new kids with whom he'd have plenty in common.

We've taken Trevor out for the past few evenings to learn a few skills before soccer begins in two weeks. When Robert was a kid, his soccer team WON the Colorado State championship, and he's coached soccer in the past. Trevor's had a great time practicing.

I'm surprised to see how many people have been at our little elementary school both nights. There's nothing special going on, yet there have been 20-25 people each night. That's pretty amazing in our little town of 2000.

To our surprise, Holly decided to sign up too. She played soccer for four years or so when she was younger, and she's looking forward to doing it again. Besides, she also has friends that play in the league, and this will be a good way to see them more regularly too.
We should find out team assignments within the next few days. Based out of our larger (relatively!) city, there will be almost 300 kids playing. I'm still a little awed by that, and it will be something to see everyone together on game days!
Meanwhile, Holly's also been thinking about a new riding instructor. She likes her current one fine enough, but she's looking for a little more direction in her riding. This has been a never-ending challenge for me; I've talked to two dozen or more people over the past year, and it's just hard to find anyone who teaches English jumper at Holly's level. We visited a new barn yesterday, talked to the owner and a few instructors, and she'll begin there next week to see how things go. :)
Trevor will also continue with chess club, begin taking weekly art lessons again, and participate in the local cooking class. In addition to soccer and riding, Holly's deciding if she'll join 4-H for another year. Looking at this all at once, it seems hectic, but most activities are not weekly, some are local, and soccer will only last for two months.
I'm still thinking it will be pretty busy, lol. It will be good for us, I'm sure.
3 comments:
We'll be venturing into our first round of soccer this fall when our 5 yo starts at the end of the month. None of our other kids have tried soccer. We've done some team sports and for the most part it's been a good experience.
Sounds like you guys have a busy year planned, but what a fun thing to have such a large rec group!
I think it's cool you have a Christian Homeschool Rec League! Of course, I live in a town with a population of only 800 so.... :-)
My boys may play with the local rec department. I need to track down information on it & see if I'm ready to add something else to the schedule.
Post a Comment