Now that I'm working at the library, I have far larger issues with books than I imagined. But that's another post. It comes down to wanting to read SO many of the books I see, and wanting to read them NOW.
Population: 485 is one of those books. Author Michael Perry is a writer who returns to his small hometown in Wisconsin and joins the volunteer fire department. He shares several of the department's rescue stories while effectively weaving in narrative about small towns, his life, and the lives of others within the community.
His jacket photo was intriguing--he looks (intentionally, I'm sure) like he just stepped out of a year in the backwoods, yet his writing is completely opposite: beautiful, revealing, charming. A jacket cover blurb: "[H]e is the only member of the . . . [d]epartment to have missed the monthly meeting because of a poetry reading." While I was interested in this book, it exceeded my expectations.
2 comments:
How fun to have our own personal reviewer planted in the library system. I had the same problem working at a county library, BTW. The family could always tell which section I was working in by the stacks of book on the table. LOL
Maybe another one to add to the list!
Post a Comment