Tuesday, August 05, 2008

4-H Banquet

Back in the fall, I stumbled across the local 4-H group. "Stumbled" might not be the right word; "was pushed into" is more like it.

Way back in September, I saw a flyer for a homeschool writing group led by a local author. Even though Holly didn't attend the class, I googled the teacher and found her blog. Following a link there, I ended up on Debi's blog. Debi mentioned horses, and when I contacted her, she invited us to her sheath cleaning demonstration. You can imagine that was not --and is not-- high on my list of things I ever wanted to do.

In the meantime, someone recommended Mark as a possible riding instructor. I called Mark and found that he teaches western barrel racing (not what Holly wanted to do), and that he also leads the local 4-H Horse and Pony club. The club's next meeting was TAA-DAA a sheath cleaning demonstration at Debi's.

God usually has to knock me in the head a few times, but I eventually get it. So I took Holly to the meeting, and she's been pretty active in the club ever since.

They don't break for summer, and tonight was the last meeting of the club year.



Truthfully, "banquet" sounds rather hoity-toity--this was really a family bbq. As the meetings are usually just the girls and a handful of parents, this was a nice chance to eat together and chat with the other families, while some of the kids swam. The girls were given awards for various activities in which they participated through the year, discussed the upcoming state horse show, and club officer positions for the upcoming year.

4-H has been a good activity for Holly. She's learned a LOT, done some cool things, and had fun. The other girls are somewhat shy, but they are pleasant, and we've really appreciated the committed, Christian leaders who have turned this group into a successful club. We are so thankful to have found 4-H!

2 comments:

lazy susie said...

OK, once again, I am eating. Peach cobbler to be exact. And in my opinion, those things don't need to be cleaned or demonstrated.

Cynthia said...

We enjoyed our years in 4-H... everything but the darned record books!